Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Video Card power cable help  (Read 2213 times)

justintime

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Video Card power cable help
    « on: February 12, 2009, 09:01:24 PM »
    Hi all, I have an older card i wanted to install, its an AIT radeon x1300 agp. Here is a picture of the exact card i have...

i was wondering if you can tell from the pic if it needs a power cable plugged in. it has some prongs on it in the corner on the right hand side of that pic, but the power cable from the hard drive for example wont fit into it, and when i install it and boot up my pc, the monitor never comes on at all. it looks like the power wire that goes from the power supply to the floppy drive might fit the input on the card tho, should i just try it?

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Video Card power cable help
    « Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 09:49:17 AM »
    I can't say for sure that those pins are a power connection but it seems so.  This may help: http://www.computing.net/answers/hardware/additional-power-connector-on-agp/49655.html

Apparently, some video cards do use that type of power connector, although most used a standard molex connector of the type used for hard drives or a newer 6-pin connector.  Those  types are shown here: http://www.wikihow.com/Connect-a-Video-Card-Power-Cable

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 09:50:51 AM »
    It's a floppy power connector.
    Strange that a card like that needs the extra power though, as it's quite low-end.

justintime

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 11:00:46 AM »
      thanks guys i really appreciate it! i will try to get this going tonight! i tried looking around google but i was getting stumped. again much appreciated!