Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Desktop wallpaper related  (Read 2036 times)

sunilfx

Topic Starter

Rookie

Desktop wallpaper related
    « on: February 14, 2009, 12:51:08 AM »
    My OS - Win98.

If I use a high-resolution (32 bit bitmap) image as desktop wallpaper, does that affect my pc's performance significantly? I mean, slowing down of pc, increased load on pc resources etc..

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Desktop wallpaper related
    « Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 12:55:59 AM »
    In my experience, using large high definition pictures for my background slows down the loading of my desktop.
    If the filesize is small however (less than say 100kb), it should be fine.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 01:06:56 AM »
    I have never noticed any difference.
     If the screen has to refresh the background it may be a tiny, tiny bit slower.
    But.. if you want to mac the sped you can shut off some other things that do slow it down a bit. In Windows XP, right click on My Computer and select properties. Then advanced. Look for the performance box. Click Settings.

sunilfx

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 12:28:52 PM »
      Thanks a lot for the hints, mates! If the wallpaper has to be below 100 KB, then I will have to use JPEG images. But the system prompts me that active desktop has to turned on if a JPEG is used for wallpaper. But I have a utility running in the background, that is,'TransText'. This utility doesn't work when active desktop is turned on. So I guess I will have to bear with bigger size of BMP wallpapers.