Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Used Dell computer will not Start  (Read 2407 times)

kenjmor2006

Topic Starter

Starter

Used Dell computer will not Start
    « on: February 16, 2009, 06:50:06 PM »
     Hello I am  pretty new at computers,I just purchased a  used dell computer,with  2.2 gig CPU ,512 ram,40gig hard drive,winxp home, When I went to see the computer the man had it hooked to a flat screen LCD,and it worked good,when I got home with it ,it would not start,I am using the older type monitor.The machine trys  to start and then goes blank with a clicking noise coming from the tower. Does anyone have a idea what is wrong? And I forgot to mention the man was moving out of state. Thanks  ken

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Used Dell computer will not Start
    « Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 08:15:14 PM »
    Nice sell...unfortunately.
    If clicking sound comes from the HD, then you're gonna need a new one. Fortunately, they're cheap.

sph92173

Rookie

Re: Used Dell computer will not Start
      « Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 03:05:17 AM »
      I had a similar problem: This desktop had a NEW Motherboard put in it as the old one was "fried". Bought it as 'non-working' for cheap. I opened it up, and took out the memory sticks and video card to re-install them after cleaning. (Dust can REALLY wreak havoc) Upon re-connection, I noted that it made more sense to plug the monitor into the video card than the other place that it was hooked it when I got it. I think that may be for an external monitor - the pic is there ... Anyhow, it all worked!!! I was ecstatic!!! ;D (The previous owner wasn't too happy, though!!! >:()

My symptoms: Tower powered up and worked through the initial phase (red light to NO red light). Meanwhile, the monitor STARTED with the familiar green light and them it seemed to go to sleep ... the light turned to ORANGE as the tower made a CLICK

Maybe that's the same thing ... maybe not ... Hope it helps, though ;)