Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: XP Continuously Shuts Down  (Read 3343 times)

Muten

XP Continuously Shuts Down
« on: April 25, 2005, 11:00:50 AM »
Hey
I'm going to try to describe my problem as in-depth as possible, because I can't seem to find anything similar anywhere around the internet.  

I have Windows XP on my laptop.  I keep it up-to-date with anti-viruses and the new spy-ware program released by Microsoft.  Just about two weeks ago, Windows Update installed an update that required me to shut down (not restart) my computer to install it.  This is the last time my computer worked properly all the way through.  Once I started my laptop back up, it went to the login screen and I clicked my Administrator account, but as soon as the music began to play the laptop shut down abruptly as if I had pulled the plug on a desktop.  I tried again, with the same results.  So, I use Safe Mode to try to find out the problem, because that runs just fine.  Anti Spyware tells me that MSConfig.exe has a new entry in my registry or something like that, so I tell it to block it.  Ad Aware notices the same thing and I tell it to block that too.

If you can help with what I've said, please let me know.

Thanks

Computer_Commando

Re: XP Continuously Shuts Down
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2005, 01:00:03 PM »
Did you notice if the Windows Update was a Critical Update or a Driver Update?  Anyway, have you tried System Restore?  WinXP automatically creates a Restore Point prior to installing updates.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2005, 01:15:12 PM »
    Muten......On  April 13th .....M/S released 5 or 6 updates through ......auto updates...... ( thats the date I received them)  this may help you establishing a restore date as suggested by Computer_Commando

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Muten

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2005, 04:54:45 PM »
    I've tried Sys Restore too, but those didn't help the problem.  It would tell me that it was successful and that'd be about it.  I'd still have to use Safe Mode to get my computer to fully start up.

drewdown619

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2005, 05:43:41 PM »
    How made the laptop?  And like Computer_Commando have ask, did you download a driver update, or a Critical Update?

Muten

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2005, 06:22:42 PM »
    It's a Compaq Presario, one of the newer models I bought it at the beginning of the school year.
    I'm not sure if it was a driver update or critical, but what kind of update would require you to shut the computer entirely down to install it?

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2005, 07:03:11 PM »
    Muten:

Try booting to Safe Mode and uninstalling the Windows update(s)--that is, if you know which one(s) to uninstall.  DL may be able to tell you which ones to remove, as i have not added the latest updates.

To remove the updates, click Start > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs.  Then click Change or Remove Programs, select the first update to remove and click Remove.  Do *not* try to remove any Service Packs.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2005, 07:05:30 PM by pcdoc4christ »

Muten (not logged in)

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2005, 09:11:15 AM »
    What if SP2 is the only thing related that is available to uninstall?

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #8 on: April 29, 2005, 04:21:18 PM »
    I would not say that doing that would be safe...

[glb]Flame[/glb]

merlin_2

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2005, 01:33:11 PM »
    boot laptop and hold down the f8 key.......chose last good config......what are your power settings....??did this happen while on battery power?/

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2005, 04:06:21 PM »
    Muten:

I agree with Flame that it would be safe.  My suggestion not to remove the service pack(s) was due to the fact that they usually are thoroughly tested by Microsoft and rarely contain bugs that would cause the problems you are having.