Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Why can't I install xp?????  (Read 4927 times)

CincyFan

Rookie

Re: Why can't I install xp?????
    « Reply #15 on: March 26, 2009, 05:58:18 PM »
    On the back of your old HD where the power and such are plugged into.. Look for a small plastic piece. It fits over two small wires to make a connection. Just above that area you will find something like SL/MA and I can't remember right off the top of my head the third is.. What are the letters above the litte black plastic piece? If anyone can explain this any better feel free..

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #16 on: March 26, 2009, 06:13:38 PM »
    Is the old HD setup as the master or the slave.. Look at the jumpers in the end of the HD to verify. If the old HD is set up as Master set the jumpers on the new HD the same. BIOS doesn't normally have an issue with a new HD. Set your boot sequence to your CD ROM, do the windows install and go back and set the boot sequence back to your new IDE?

SATA drives don't use jumpers...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

sybritt

Topic Starter

Rookie
      « Reply #17 on: March 26, 2009, 06:14:56 PM »
      ok I think I know what you are talking about I remember seeing something like that but when I saw it there was nothing plugged into it and now this new hd does not have anything like that only the 2 plug ins that I have already mentioned and a wider one that looks like the sata plug in spot!(I think its for a legacy cord) no spot for jumpers. and im sure!

sybritt

Topic Starter

Rookie
        « Reply #18 on: March 26, 2009, 06:16:37 PM »
        ok so I guess thats why I don't see that!

sybritt

Topic Starter

Rookie
          « Reply #19 on: March 26, 2009, 06:20:25 PM »
          could it be that theres just a problem with my cd drive or something else? because like I said in the BIOS it is reading in whatever port (A or 1) a hard drive exists and it didn't read it efore I got this new one

sybritt

Topic Starter

Rookie
            « Reply #20 on: March 27, 2009, 10:17:15 AM »
            are hard drives supposed to come with installation disks? Could my SATA cord be dead?any other ideas please?

GlitchPC

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2009, 11:03:42 AM »
            If your BIOS recognizes the drive...when you're going through the Windows setup process, you'll have to press F6 in order to install the drivers for your SATA device(s).

Did you notice this during installation?  You may not have...since it goes by quickly.

sybritt

Topic Starter

Rookie
              « Reply #22 on: March 27, 2009, 03:38:21 PM »
              ohhhh...thanks,  no I didn't notice that and that will be great to know but it still brings me back to the fact that the disk only runs for a minute before it just stops( after it says setup is inspecting....) thats my biggest issue again

GlitchPC

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2009, 03:44:56 PM »
              Make sure you're installing from a legitimate Windows CD and follow the instructions here
              « Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 05:47:22 PM by GlitchPC »

sybritt

Topic Starter

Rookie
                « Reply #24 on: March 27, 2009, 05:45:36 PM »
                Well cool but this is the first time I have heard about the floppy disk and I do not have one. My computer shut down and I couldn't get anything on any disks I lost everything. Any idea how I could go about getting a floppy disk with what I need on it?