Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I need help with Vista  (Read 8222 times)

lushleamlad

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

I need help with Vista
    « on: February 20, 2009, 05:45:52 AM »
    Ok, my cousin bought a Acer Aspire 5920G laptop with Windows Vista pre-installed, she is a novice with computers and like so many people did not realise she needed to create a recovery disc. One of her children done something to the laptop, so now all you get is the blue screen of death .... error message code: 0x00000024 (0x00190444, 0x865eca68, 0xc00000102, 0x00000000)

I can access System Recovery Options, which gives me the following options:

Startup Repair. (I have ran this and it tells me it is unable to repair it automatically, the detailed report basically says the system volume on disk is corrupt, and recommends running chkdsk, which i have also done).

System Restore (This tells me that i have to specify a windows installation which i have done, from Dos command and there were no restore points).

Windows Complete PC Restore (Comes up with the error: An internal error occured. The following information might help you resolve the error:

The file or directory is not a reparse point. (0x80071126).

Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool (which brings up an error message: A problem is preventing Windows from checking for memory problems during startup. Try to check for problems again by running the tool manually.

Command Prompt (obviously i have used this to try and use system restore, and i can access the X drive, which is where the restore files are located)

I know you can buy a recovery disk from Acer (conveniently) But surely there is some other way to fix the *censored* thing. I have searched around a bit to see if anyone has uploaded the recovery files required for that particular model, but so far without success.

Any help please guys?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: I need help with Vista
    « Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 09:21:07 AM »
    According to MSDN:
    A problem occurred within NTFS.SYS, the driver file that allows the system to read and write to NTFS file system drives. There may be a physical problem with the disk, or an Interrupt Request Packet (IRP) may be corrupted. Other common causes include heavy hard drive fragmentation, heavy file I/O, problems with some types of drive-mirroring software, or some antivirus software. I suggest running ChkDsk or ScanDisk as a first step; then disable all file system filters such as virus scanners, firewall software, or backup utilities. Check the file properties of NTFS.SYS to ensure it matches the current OS or SP version. Update all disk, tape backup, CD-ROM, or removable device drivers to the most current versions.

Try the suggested fixes including chkdsk /r and see if it helps.
    Another thing to try is Start/Run sfc /scannow and hit Enter. Let it run til it finishes.

WARNING: If you do go ahead and use the ACRE CD to fix this all her programs and DATA will be gone...this should be a last resort.
    It basically takes the machine back to Day One status...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

lushleamlad

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 10:26:39 AM »
      Well i can only get into things via DOS prompt i tried chkdsk and all of that, if i go into regedit and click import i can view all the files on the X partition (for the recovery disk) however i cannot access the C drive.

I have now been out and bought a lead to plug it into my machine via USB and that won't let me into the drive, it just says the directory is corrupted and unreadable, i think i need a third party program that can scan for files and recover them, if i can get the recovery files onto a different machine then i would be able to create the recovery disk(s) i guess.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 01:09:14 PM »

This is your best bet for data recovery before you try a bunch of tools that may inadvertently get you farther away from her files...
      It allows you to hook up a laptop drive to a Desktop machine and copy/burn all the important stuff you may need...

2.5" to IDE connector...available at any PC shop for 8 to 12 Bucks.

Report back with how the drive is being reported via the USB connector you bought in Disk Management...they are un-reliable for grabbing data but i didn't see this post earlier.

lushleamlad

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 02:32:46 PM »
        I bought a cable as what i stated ....

I have now been out and bought a lead to plug it into my machine via USB and that won't let me into the drive, it just says the directory is corrupted and unreadable, i think i need a third party program that can scan for files and recover them, if i can get the recovery files onto a different machine then i would be able to create the recovery disk(s) i guess.

but to no use ......

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 02:46:09 PM »
        Report back with how the drive is being reported via the USB connector you bought in Disk Management.

lushleamlad

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 02:50:35 PM »
          It says the disk is corrupt and unreadable ....

I have downloaded a file called erecovery from acer .... but it is doesn't appear large enough to hold the vista setup ..... it's a *censored* nuisance because i can see via regedit from the dos prompt that the files to restore it are intact ...... i feel i need a decent program to probe and pull the files from the hard drive or the acer restore files for that model  ???