Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer Mouse Help  (Read 2095 times)

psearchery15

Topic Starter

Starter

Computer Mouse Help
    « on: February 16, 2009, 02:45:10 PM »
    I cannot get any computer mouse to work with my computer. I've tried both USB, and Ps/2 ported mouses and neither will work. Well to some point they do but what happens it they work fine for 10-15 seconds and then they start lagging and then freeze up permanently, which can only be remedied by a complete restart. Virus Scans, Defrags, and System Restores have come up with nothing. Is there anything I can do to fix this? One solution I have found is to completely wipe the hard-drive and then reinstalling your OS which I have done but to no avail the problem persists.

I am using a Compaq Presario Desktop. (don't know what the model is)

2Ghz Athlon 64 processor
    1.5Gb RAM
    110Gb? hard drive
    500watt Power Source
    EVGA 9800GT GPU
    >I'm sure there are some other things I cannot remember at the moment.
    All in all its been a decent setup until this problem reared it ugly head.
    As mentioned before I have tried several different mice ranging from USB to Ps/2 ports. None will work.
    I previously had Windows Vista 32bit loaded on and have since blanked my hard drive to see if that worked, but it did not. I am using a Sabayon Linux Live CD to get on the computer right now and the standard trackball mouse that came with the computer originally is working okay for the moment, but I would like to be able to get my wireless optical mouse to work as the trackball mouse is simply junk.

Is there anything I can do to resolve this issue?

xcharge50

Beginner

Re: Computer Mouse Help
      « Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 02:50:32 PM »
      Did you install you chipset driver?

psearchery15

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 02:57:34 PM »
        I haven't but now its kind of late as I don't have an operating system installed, and I also don't know where to find the chipset drivers for my computer, and I have AMD Sempron not Athlon my mistake.

psearchery15

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 03:10:58 PM »
          I'm in the process of installing Sabayon Linux and after that I will find the appropriate chipset drivers, and see if that resolves the issue.

I've finished installing Linux and the mouse was still having problems so I 'gently' chucked it at the ground and it started working  ;D for the time anyway. Will update again if the problem comes back. I have a feeling that this was probably just a coincidence as more than one mouse had the same problem.
          « Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 04:17:37 PM by psearchery15 »