Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: LAN issue...is my computer just mad at me?  (Read 2933 times)

goliathtamer

Topic Starter

Starter

LAN issue...is my computer just mad at me?
    « on: February 03, 2009, 01:06:25 AM »
    i installed a pretty basic game on my computer. so basic, in fact, that it runs on my old 20gb hd, 756mhz, 512 mb RAM, windows XP, butterfly computer. my problem is that this very basic game WILL run on the new CPU that i have now, but it will not allow me to connect to any other computer in the game via lan. the game is baldur's gate 2 shadows of amn. the new computer i have:3gb of ram, 2.0ghz dual core intel, 500gb hd, windows vista home premium, fujitsu lifebook n-series. the problem starts whenever i try to host or join another game. once i do that, the game simply minimizes and tells me that BG2SOA has encountered a problem and must close. ive checked my firewall, and made certain that the game is on the exceptions list...ive reinstalled it, and attempted the ol' restart trick(usually works). but nothing makes it so that i can lan. anyone have a suggestion?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: LAN issue...is my computer just mad at me?
    « Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 11:08:25 AM »
    Have you ever had this game work on a LAN?
    Do you remember how it was done?
    Old games require a protocol used by Novel that is not recommended on new Windows installs. :)

goliathtamer

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 12:21:30 PM »
      yes, the game worked perfect on my old computer. so the safer end result would be to not try anything on my computer to make the lan mode work?

goliathtamer

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 12:22:27 PM »
        the protocol was a TCP/IP connection. also, my friend has the same game on his windows vista OS, and the results are fine for him.
        « Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 12:44:23 PM by goliathtamer »

goliathtamer

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 02:05:30 PM »
          weird...apparently you have to start the game in windowed mode, start the connection THEN change to full screen...sometimes these things baffle me