Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: No Windows Sound, No Sound Scheme, No Volume Icon, all other sound good.  (Read 4725 times)

kbosse

Topic Starter

Starter

I have read a bunch of threads on multiple sites and have found some similar problems but nothing exactly like this. 
    Here is what doesn't work:
    -The windows sound on my computer does not work. 
    -I can go into the sound setup where you pick which sounds for different tasks (like windows startup), and the play button to preview that sound is "grayed" out.
    -Sound scheme is blank.  If I set the sound scheme to the "Windows Default", click apply and then click ok to close that menu, then go back into the sound scheme menu it is blank again.
    -There is no volume icon in my tray even though in the sound menu, it is clicked to be there.
    -No sound at all in IE.
    Here is what does work:-All other sound works fine such as playing the sound files for windows like  "Ding.wav" using windows media player.  Playing mp3's - no problem. 
    - Even if I go to the "Speech" icon in the control panel and listen to "Microsoft Sam" say "You have selected Microsoft Sam as the computer's default voice."  That works fine.
    I have downloaded new drivers for my sound device.  I have also ran the "DXDIAG" and all the sound test on there worked fine.

Hope someone can help.

Tired and rambling,

Karl

JJ 3000

Egghead
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: No Windows Sound, No Sound Scheme, No Volume Icon, all other sound good.
    « Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 10:07:21 PM »
    Have you tried System Restore?
    Save a Life!
    Adopt a homeless pet.
    http://www.petfinder.com/

kbosse

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 05:55:07 AM »
      No I haven't tried that.  Give me a reminder on how to do that.  If I remember correctly, I just put the systems cd that came with the computer in and I think "System Restore" is one of the options.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 10:59:45 AM »
      No I haven't tried that.  Give me a reminder on how to do that.  If I remember correctly, I just put the systems cd that came with the computer in and I think "System Restore" is one of the options.

No. Don't do that. that will wipe your computer.

For XP:

Start->programs->Accessories->System Restore

Vista:

Start->programs->Accessories->System Tools->System Restore
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

kbosse

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 09:26:42 AM »
        Unfortunately, no restore points from before the sound problem started.  This is my fault.  Unless someone else has suggestions, I may just get all my info move from my main hardrive to my secondary hard drive and then format c:\ and re-install windows.  I would thing this would take care of the problem.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 01:20:34 PM »
        Start->Run "sndvol"

make sure all values are at proper levels.
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 01:54:55 PM »
          You don't say what kind of sound card you have?  Does it have any icons in Control Panel for settings?  I've seen this before on calls where some sounds work and some don't.  Look there.

Alan <><  :D
          I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!