Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dell E521 not seeing hard drive  (Read 3085 times)

SopheyBlue

Topic Starter

Dell E521 not seeing hard drive
    « on: February 17, 2009, 09:26:05 PM »
    My computer is a Dell E521. The screen was frozen, and I could not ctrl/alt/del to task menu. I powered off the computer with the on/off button. Now every time I attempt to reboot, the computer sounds fine as it comes on, but it will not load Windows. It loads the graphics card, and it stops on the Dell logo screen.
    According to that screen, I should be able to access F2 or F12. I can access F2 (but not F12, whatever that is). In the computer Setup, it shows my computer is not seeing my hard drive.  Neither tapping nor holding down F5 of F8 gets any result at all during restart.  I cannot access Safe Mode.
    Dell E521; Video Card – NVYDIA 7600 GeForce; RAM 3.5 gig; OS = Windows XP; Fix-it Utilities for Virus Scan; No OS CD’s came with the computer. 
    I removed the panel on the computer and checked the cables, un-connecting and re-connecting them to the motherboard and to the hard drive; I also blew out the dust with canned air.
    According to the booklet that came with Fix-It Utilities, the CD should boot the computer. When I first put in the CD, after loading, it showed a page with the three options.  After powering down the computer, now when I put in the CD, it loads, but it won’t give me the options anymore; it just stays on its load screen.
    I’d like to save the data on the hard drive at the very least, and at the most, I’d really be happy if I didn’t have to purchase a new hard drive or even a new computer.
    I moved the computer from one side of the desk to another six days before the problem, but after the movement, the computer still worked fine. 
    The computer is two years old, and it was the victim of a lightning strike within the first two months I owed it. For a few days, it didn’t work at all, but once the power supply was replaced, it started up fine and has been working fine ever since, if that matters any.  About four months ago, I had someone remove Vista , install Windows XP (and RAM sticks – 3 gigs), and download and install all necessary drivers.  Everything worked fine until now. I am not computer savvy, but I can follow directions, should anyone have any ideas for me.
    I apologize because I’m sure I probably gave too much information in some areas and not enough in others.   Thanks for any help you might be able to give. 

midsail

Hopeful
      • Experience: Experienced
      Re: Dell E521 not seeing hard drive
      « Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 06:01:47 AM »
      On Dell PC, F2 is to get into the BIOS and F12 gives u some more options, where to boot from CD, HDD, diagnostic utilities and to enter BIOS. . Try F2 this should get u into the BIOS. Select defaults and save exit. If this does not work, it might be that your HDD is bad. Remove the HDD in the PC and test it with a good known HDD. If it works with the replacement, the data on your old HHD is gone.

SopheyBlue

Topic Starter

Re: Dell E521 not seeing hard drive
        « Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 12:20:56 PM »
        Thank you for your reply.

It was necessary for me to replace the CMOS battery in order to get the BIOS to completely load, remove a bad stick of RAM, and install a new hard drive. The good news is the new hard drive is recognized. The bad news is a separate problem (and I'll search the forums to see if there might already be an answer for it, rather than posting it here).