Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Bios Issue/Hard Drive Upgrade  (Read 2304 times)

348patterson

Topic Starter

Bios Issue/Hard Drive Upgrade
    « on: February 18, 2009, 10:20:08 AM »
    Forum Participants,

I am trying to update my hard drive on an M700 PIII 850mhz laptop. I have one MK3017GAP, MK3018GAP, and a ST960822A. When I try these I get a message "Fixed Disk Parameter or Bios Error, System Halted". I currently have a MK6014 drive which works just fine. I have looked into the bios settings and found what I am trying to look for is shadowed. When I try seeting up one of the larger drives with Western Digital's Disk Manager it tells me that I need that my bios needs to be set to Auto Configue. This would make sense of why I would get the message "Fixed Disk Parameter". It seems the bios is set to populate the cylinders, heads, and sectors for the 6GB drive. I need to change this to auto or to the c/h/s to match one of the larger drives. Is there a way to do this? Can I do this with a hex editor? If so, how do I go about doing this in the hex editor? And no it has nothing to do with jumper settings on the drive. I even tried using a DDO to try and trick the bios which did not work. DDO does not support this BIOS. I have the most current Bios Upgrade. I have updated this a few months ago. Your assistance would be great. Look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,
    M700