Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Virus not allowing me into desktop  (Read 3250 times)

Mattdm

Topic Starter

Starter

Virus not allowing me into desktop
    « on: February 18, 2009, 11:17:48 PM »
    I have a Dell XPS laptop with windows XP. I had some sort of McAafee scan on demand program that the IT guy at UW installed on my computer.

Symptoms: A few days ago the computer started acting strange with pop-ups and an icon at the bottom informing me that I have a virus and need to download some anti virus software. I didn't of course. When I used the scan tool, one time it found maybe 15 or 20 viruses. Other times it would be the exact same virus even after it removed it and I disconnected the computer from the internet. Then it erased my WEP key for my wireless internet so I had to re-type it any time I wanted to connect to the internet.

I started to transfer school files onto my desktop, but this morning when I turned on my laptop, the log-on screen popped up (which it never did before). I don't have a password for the Windows log on, so I just hit enter. The desktop flashes and then it reverts to the log-on screen. I tried starting it Safe Mode, but it does the exact same thing.

I would like to just copy my school files and photos to my other computer and then just reinstall windows, but I don't know how to do that.

Any help would be much appreciated!!

-Matt

BatchRocks

Hopeful
      Re: Virus not allowing me into desktop
      « Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 10:39:59 AM »
      pop-ups and an icon at the bottom informing me that I have a virus and need to download some anti virus software. I didn't of course. When I used the scan tool, one time it found maybe 15 or 20 viruses.

pop-ups and an icon at the bottom informing me that I have a virus and need to download some anti virus software Was that Perfect Defender 2009?

Mattdm

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 11:51:58 AM »
        I think it was called VirusScan.

BatchRocks

Hopeful
          « Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 12:10:21 PM »
          Oh, sorry.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          • Certifications: List
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 08:55:04 PM »
          It doesn't matter what it's called. It's a fake. Under no circumstances should you do what it says.

follow steps:

http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,46313.0.html
          I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Mattdm

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 12:30:51 PM »
            Yeah, I didn't click on the icon. I looked suspicious.

FYI: I figured out a way retrieve my files by creating a boot disk with the Ubuntu operating system on it. I followed the steps on this web page: http://thinkinginpixels.com/quick-fixes/fix-windows-xp-log-onlog-off-loop/

The steps were suppose to correct the log-on part (so I could get past the windows log on screen), but didn't work. So I ended up just installing the new operating system onto the hard drive and got rid of Windows. It works fine so far.