Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Power Prolem  (Read 2009 times)

PaisleyRaven

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Power Prolem
    « on: February 19, 2009, 02:09:54 PM »
     I have another computer that was working fine until yesterday. I had a 60g harddrive in it along w/one stick of 128. I was going to take it down to see if I could get more because the Monster just too slow. I'm working on another computer   http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,76823.msg502873.html#msg502873 with similar configurations. It has the exact same memory stick. I took both and put them in the Monster just to see if 2 128s would be effective.
    I turned the computer on like I've done dozens of times and nothnig happened.
    The fans turn on, & there's a red LED under the power button on front, but the HDD, the Floppy and the 2 ROMs do nothing.
    I tried switching around the memory, & went back to one stick. Failed.
    Tried another power cord, same result. Tried another power source -2 others in fact- and still get nothing.
    Finally pulled the 60g drive and slapped it into the Old Beast, and poof, it boots.

I have the sneaking suspicion the problem is MB related. The battery maybe?
    Last time this computer was running it was doing an Auto Update, I believe SP3.
    It's running XP Pro (at least it would be if it would turn on).
    Tell me where to look for info on the board because I can't power it up to run Belarc or Everest on it.
    Thanks in advance, you guys rock  ;)
    ~Raven

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Power Prolem
    « Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 01:36:31 PM »
    If you're running XP on 128MG of RAM things like this will happen regularly...
    Also the RAM you swapped in may be incompatible which would produce those errors...
    Travel to Crucial.com and run the online scanner to determine what type and how much RAM these systems will take.

RAM is dirt cheap right now and would be a wise investment.......
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "