Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't Connect To Wireless N Router with Notebook Card  (Read 2703 times)

SEO Agency

Can't Connect To Wireless N Router with Notebook Card
« on: February 19, 2009, 06:52:48 AM »
Hello Everyone,

Great community, thought it may provide "hope" to a solution to my problem. Dlink customer support doesn't know, i can't find any forums talking about this:

Hardware:
IBM Thinkpad T40 (little dated) - Windows XP SP2 at least
DLink DWA-642 "Rangebooster N Notebook Adapter"
Dlink DIR-628 Wireless Router

Problem:
I disabled my IBM's internal wireless hardware, so only the wireless card is active. I tied using both windows and Dlink's software to "connect to wireless networks". When i scan i can see everyone's SSID's around me but not mine! I have a brand new Dell Inspiron with Vista and that is connect to the network, so i know its broadcasting and active. I updated the firmware on my router, reinstalled the drivers multiple times, and it still sees every network but mine. I am pretty sure that the networks that it sees are not wireless N, so i think it has something to do with that. I don't want to downgrade to G, that is why i bought the Wireless N Notebook card!

I downloaded the update from MS for wireless N enhancements in windows XP, but it said i already had that installed. Is there something in my XP settings that i need to update? Or do you think i need to tweak the router's settings to communicate with the card? They are sold as a package, and the same "rangebooster N" line, should be easy 123.

Any help would be appreciated.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Can't Connect To Wireless N Router with Notebook Card
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 03:39:50 PM »
Try this-

Access the router setup page. With my D-Link DIR-655, it's http://192.168.0.1, but your's could be different. You probably know how to access it, anyways.

If your pages are similar to mine, then you want to go

top link "SETUP" left link "WIRELESS SETTINGS"

and then select "manual wireless network setup"

make sure all settings here are proper, for example mine is set to mixed 802.11n,g, and b.

barring any options there, you can try removing the wireless driver for BOTH the internal IBM and the rangebooster, and then install only the rangebooster. It could be that the two wireless devices are arguing or something equally ridiculous.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.