Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: BSOD, access files in dos from harddrive, (XP)  (Read 3100 times)

9523johnp

Topic Starter

Rookie

BSOD, access files in dos from harddrive, (XP)
    « on: February 19, 2009, 05:49:08 PM »
    Hi, I 'am not sure if this should be in the dos section or this one. Can anyone tell me how to access the files in windows XP from dos? On my sisters P.C. i installed a update driver (nvida geforce fx5200). when i rebooted i got the BSOD with a stop message (the numbers and code don't matter now). None of the options on the safe screen worked it just rebooted to the blue screen.

I tried the repair option on the XP disk but it asked for a password and there has never been one used, in fact the disk as never been used since my sister purchased the PC. The only option I had was to format and reinstall windows.

If i could have got into one of the options on the safe mode screen i could have sorted it. There is a way of accessing the files on the harddrive in dos. Can anyone please tell me how, thanks(just in case it happens again) john

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: BSOD, access files in dos from harddrive, (XP)
    « Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 08:14:53 PM »
    Repair installation doesn't ask for password, Recovery Console may.
    Which one is it?

JJ 3000

Egghead
    • Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 10:03:07 PM »
    I tried the repair option on the XP disk but it asked for a password and there has never been one used

Did you try leaving the password blank?

The only option I had was to format and reinstall windows.

Format = Erase. You have probaly lost all of the data from that hard drive.

You could try using a utility like one of these to recover the data.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

http://www.recuva.com/
    Save a Life!
    Adopt a homeless pet.
    http://www.petfinder.com/

9523johnp

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 03:38:13 AM »
      Hi,thanks for replying. The XP CD (home edition) is the one my sister got when she purchased the PC at a time when they were supplying disks with new machines.

Yes I did try not putting a password in. but it did not work. Has regards the personal information, before I formatted I connected it to a PC as a slave drive and got the information that way. ( the first time it would not work i still got the BSOD evan as a slave drive)

Formatting was a last resort. I want to know how to access the harddrive from dos for when it happens again. regards john

I have reopened this to add: I don't want to recover personal files. I want to look at the files on the harddrive in dos to see whats causing the problem john
      « Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 06:10:38 AM by 9523johnp »