Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Loss of internet connection  (Read 3080 times)

dreary

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Loss of internet connection
    « on: February 20, 2009, 03:54:49 PM »
    If I unplug my computer, the next time I try to go online I cannot get a connection initially (I can eventually). If I leave my computer plugged in but turned off, I have no problem getting a connection. Can I rectify this and unplug the computer and not have any connection problems the next time I go online?

truenorth

Guru

Re: Loss of internet connection
      « Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 08:49:51 AM »
      dreary, Welcome to the CH forums. I am puzzled as to why it is that you are "unplugging" the computer so much? Is it an attempt to avoid power surges or what? The answer to your question is most likely to be that when plugged in though "off" there is still power available to the computer and some power requiring processes are still maintained. Therefore when you disconnect all power that is not occurring.Not knowing what kind of ISP connection mode you are using makes it difficult to determine how much of a factor this might be. Perhaps with more of an explanation as to why you feel compelled to be unplugging the computer might elicit other options for you.truenorth

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 09:24:04 AM »
      Please post more info on what type of connection you have what browser you use and what hardware supplies your connection...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

dreary

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 04:15:55 PM »
        Thanks for your help. I was trying to save the planet by unplugging the computer which I imagined was on standby. Having looked at my socket I notice there is an on/off switch, so I will try turning that off tonight whilst leaving the computer plugged in :-[ The browser I have is Internet Explorer 7. I have ntl broad band internet

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 07:05:12 PM »
        shut down the computer first of course- standby won't do  :)
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 08:38:30 AM »
          dreary, You may feel that your issue has been resolved.In which case that is great.However if you want more assistance you need to answer the questions fully that patio and i have asked as in my mind there are still unresolved issues related to your question and your computer/ISP connection methods which may be contributing to your initial stated concerns. Your call. truenorth

dreary

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 02:13:31 AM »
            I had tried to answer your questions above. Thanks for your time. The problem still remains. We're advised not to have tellies, etc on standby as it's wasteful. When I leave my computer plugged in but turned off it still seems to be on stand by (not computer standby but standby in that it can be turned on again readily), as indicated, for example, by the light on my bluetooth dongle remaining on when plugged into the USB port. I turned the plug switch to off but the problem remained: difficulty getting a connection when I turn the computer on again. If it helps the ntl broadband box has on the underside Model No 08004EU; Input: +10 VDC----1.2A

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 08:04:05 AM »
              dreary,Well it seems to me(but not totally sure) that you have answered your own question. The fact that even in the "off" configuration (but not "unplugged") there is power still going to the "ntl broadband box" indicates exactly as i stated earlier.The ISP connection is still in a more active state than when it is unplugged (along with everything else when you unplug the computer) therefore it reacts to use more quickly than when reemerging from the unplugged--no power-- configuration. Which is totally reasonable and normal. So your choice becomes whether your concerns "for the planet" overrides the convenience of faster access to your ISP?This is a choice only you can make.truenorth
              P.S. Turning the "switch" off achieves the same result as unplugging the unit.

dreary

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 02:06:14 PM »
                Thank you  :)

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 04:53:20 PM »
                  dreary,You are most welcome.truenorth