Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: No icons or start menu, Tried to follow instruction. Now I'm stuck!  (Read 3047 times)

bennks

Topic Starter

Starter

Okay so I have been getting this error msg when I turned on my computer, Explore.exe unable to locate component - This application has failed to start because SHDOCVW.dll was not found.  Reinstalling the application may fix the problem.  I ran AVG 7.5 which came back clear...No threats.  I'm on windows Xp with Sp3 and recently down loaded PC tools threatfire firewall. Earlier today I was trying to down load some cool little cursor.. obviously a big mistake I knew better.  The firewall keep asking me to quarantine the file and I think I did quarantine one.  That's when this started.  I was thinking that it may have quarantined this file and that might just need to reinstall the program.  So my screen is now blank, no icons or start menu, I am able to get to the task window and it allows me to navigate from there.  I've been searching for 5 hours for this file on line and finally came across this site.  Luckily I found you before I did anything detrimental to my computer.  I now know that my anti-virus program is out of date.  So I attempted to update.  Did not work!  I uninstalled 7.5 and downloaded 8.0.  It seemed to work but now it won't let me into AVG at all.  I hope that I have provided enough information!  Please help...I am out of ideas!

JJ 3000

Egghead
    • Experience: Familiar
    Save a Life!
    Adopt a homeless pet.
    http://www.petfinder.com/

bennks

Topic Starter

Starter

Re: No icons or start menu, Tried to follow instruction. Now I'm stuck!
      « Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 01:49:26 AM »
      Okay thank you!

bennks

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 05:29:31 PM »
        Okay so I was able to get rid of AVG and I now have Avast....Which said I have no virus...I think that the firewall quarantined a important file....How do I get it back? Does anyone know how to fix this?

In case it's important, I continued with the help list and attempted to remove some programs....I came across My Web search(cursor mania) This is what I believe started all of this....I tried to remove it and this error came back....RUNDLL  error loading  C:\proga~1\MYWEBS~1\bar\2.bin\mwsbar.dll  The specified mode could not be found....Okay so I think this is what caused all of this.

Broni

Mastermind
        • Kraków my love :)
          • Computer Help Forum
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 09:54:50 PM »
        Re-read JJ 3000's reply.