Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: No start menu or icons still, Completed list have logs  (Read 3263 times)

bennks

Topic Starter

Starter

No start menu or icons still, Completed list have logs
    « on: February 21, 2009, 01:57:28 AM »
    WOW.....You guys have my upmost respect...this stuff is time consuming and frustrating!  I have finally completed the Try this first list.... The only thing I was not able to rename the HijackThis file....I also tried to find the logs that I saved to the desktop and they are no longer there??? I am seriously lost what do I do now??  Below are the events that have occured over the past 36 hours.

Okay so I have been getting this error msg when I turned on my computer, Explore.exe unable to locate component - This application has failed to start because SHDOCVW.dll was not found.  Reinstalling the application may fix the problem.  I ran AVG 7.5 which came back clear...No threats.  I'm on windows Xp with Sp3 and recently down loaded PC tools threatfire firewall. Earlier today I was trying to down load some cool little cursor.. obviously a big mistake I knew better.  The firewall keep asking me to quarantine the file and I think I did quarantine one.  That's when this started.  I was thinking that it may have quarantined this file and that might just need to reinstall the program.  So my screen is now blank, no icons or start menu, I am able to get to the task window and it allows me to navigate from there.  I've been searching for 5 hours for this file on line and finally came across this site.  Luckily I found you before I did anything detrimental to my computer.  I now know that my anti-virus program is out of date.  So I attempted to update.  Did not work!  I uninstalled 7.5 and downloaded 8.0.  It seemed to work but now it won't let me into AVG at all.  I hope that I have provided enough information!  I read the read first section which is how I found out that my AVG was out of date.  Please help...I am out of ideas! 

Okay update since last night....I still can't run my anti-virus program...but I continued to with the help list and attempted to remove some programs....I came across My Web search(cursor mania) This is what I believe started all of this....I tried to remove it and this error came back....RUNDLL  error loading  C:\proga~1\MYWEBS~1\bar\2.bin\mwsbar.dll  The specified mode could not be found....Okay so I think this is what caused all of this.....Not sure how to fix...Do I need to delete and reinstall a different anti-virus? 

Another update...I was able to get rid of AVG and add Avast...According to Avast I have no virus....

« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 09:39:20 PM by bennks »