Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: "Nutsy" computer, logs attached  (Read 3616 times)

brighttigress

Topic Starter

Starter

"Nutsy" computer, logs attached
    « on: February 21, 2009, 04:19:27 AM »
    I followed all the instructions as directed by EvilFantasy's posts suggested by BatchRocks.

Since I got a Dell Dimension 4100 used on Ebay over a year ago, the "problems" have been getting more frequent.  It's running Windows XP Pro w/SP2 and automatic updates, but Microsoft says there's a problem and it may be an "illegal" copy, and I didn't pursue that because I can't afford to buy another one.  The computer goes "nutsy", I lose mouse control, cursor goes all over, start menu and various windows open on their own, IE windows close, FreeCell "freezes", Taskbar & Property windows open, new icons appear on desktop - like new Excel doc, and I never use Excel.  And other strange things that I can't begin to remember.

Before starting on the instructions, I uninstalled IE, having downloaded Firefox earlier.  I also uninstalled Spybot and my Malwarebytes AntiMalware (downloaded & reinstalled later when instructed.)  And I removed previous owner's "Window Washer" (I never used it) and a Cyberdefender Identity Toolbar that I thought I'd removed a long time ago. 

The computer was obviously a trade-in and I was surprised that the place I bought it from hadn't removed previous owner's "stuff".  I eventually removed his documents, photos, and some other things but there's still some old stuff left.  For example, something for "Party Poker" in one of the logs is *not* mine.  Also in one of the logs are references to Weatherbug and a few other things which I'm sure I removed long ago. 

One of many confusing things I noticed are tracking cookies in the AntiSpyware Log mentioning "Cody" (my grandson).   I regularly cleaned out all cookies and the only way I can imagine there were still "Cody" cookies is because for a short time a long time ago he had his own "account" on this machine, but we didn't use it for long.   

I greatly appreciate any help!!  Thank you!!!!!

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.34
    Database version: 1783
    Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

2/21/2009 4:55:00 AM
    mbam-log-2009-02-21 (04-54-59).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|)
    Objects scanned: 116409
    Time elapsed: 51 minute(s), 57 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
    Memory Modules Infected: 0
    Registry Keys Infected: 0
    Registry Values Infected: 0
    Registry Data Items Infected: 0
    Folders Infected: 0
    Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
    (No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:
    (No malicious items detected)

Registry Keys Infected: