Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: strange and technical issue on video memory  (Read 4256 times)

charmer8

strange and technical issue on video memory
« on: April 26, 2005, 02:04:00 PM »
hey guys,

i have very weird and technical problem regarding to my video memory.

i have Nvidia geforce FX5200 128 ddr which i have installed on win98.

i was having problems running games on my pc...games were failed to run at all....i was wondering why its happening....later,i found the main problem...the problem was actually my video memory on my pc.....i have 128 mb memory of my video card but its actually showing only 2MB...yes !!!...only 2mb of memory my card has on my pc....i ran directx 9..it showed only 2 mb memory..i ran display settings...it showed with 2mb memory....i even ran some games system check up utility...and it showed 2mb of video card memory as well...and giving me message that your video card has very less memory and game wont start.

later on,someone said me to run MSconfig.exe and choose "selective startup" method and then restart......i did the same...but then my pc was halt on my desktop...means whenever i boot the pc i was unable to click on desktop at all..just nothing was working except ctr alt del....so i went on safe mode..and then ran directx and display settings....both showed atleast 64 mb memory of my video card (while i had 128 memory on video)....then again ran MScofig.exe and clicked on normal start (bcoz my pc was not working good on selective startup method)....then restarted....and again same problem i faced...i didnt have memory of my video card.

my pc shows only 2mb memory of my video card....why is that???...where is the rest of memory???...my video card has 128...but my pc only takes 2mb...thats why i cant run any game.

please help me out.....any help would be appreciated..thanks

UsseryT

Re: strange and technical issue on video memory
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2005, 08:50:06 AM »
Have you updated your video card drivers? Does the driver support Windows 98? Does the video card even support Windows 98? Have you updated Windows 98? Have you tryed to put the video card in another computer to see if it works there? Does your motherboard support your video card? Is your video card a PCI card or an AGP card? If it's an AGP is it 4x or 8x? What does your motherboard support?

Details please, then maybe we can help you out.

charmer

Re: strange and technical issue on video memory
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2005, 12:35:45 PM »
yes i have updated my video drivers...very latest !

yes i have final release of win98.

yes my card do support win98..and so does driver.

no i did not try to put it on another computer.....but yes...i have checked my card on my own computer on winxp.....i had winxp before...and my card was running good and showing full video memory...its only on win98..and for some reason i want it on win98 only.

yes my mobo supports my video card as it was running quiete good on winxp.

my card is an AGP 8X card.

ofcourse my mobo supports 8x card.

note: on winxp i had no problem with my graphic card...i was playing games quiete ok.....its just on win98 it doesnt shows full memory...my video card runs fine on win98 but its just that it does not take its full video memory......but running computer in safe mode it shows 64 mb memory.......while i have 128....means in normal mode...memory is 2m...in safe mode memory is 64mb.