Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Strangest problem i have ever had. will not load to desktop after user select  (Read 2787 times)

ipagel

Topic Starter

Starter

I have a problem in which after i have selected my user windows does not load to the the desktop.  but the strange thing is if i ctr alt del i can load things through task manager even my internet. which is strange as the wifi software usually needs to load to work. i can load any program through task manager but cannot see the window desktop, start menu etc.... ??? ???

can someone please advise as i am not sure where system restore is.
    and ha anyone else had this problem

billrich

0)  1.Right click on desktop and choose Properties
    2.Window will pop up an Display Properties window, now you chose Desktop tab .
    3.In Desktop tab you chose Customize Desktop button at the bottom.
    4.Window will pop up an Desktop Items window.
    5.Now you choose General tab(chosen by default). As you can see many check boxes for desktop icon,  you check all boxes then click OK to apply.

1)Go To the safe Mode as you boot.  Tap F8 as you boot until the menu appears. Choose safe mode Command prompt.  The program for system restore is rstrui.exe.

enter:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\Restore\rstrui.exe

Follow directions

_______________________________________ ______
    2) If the above does not work, shut down and unplug from the wall. Wait a few second and reboot.

If no desktop, go to safe mode and run sfc /scannow. Insert the XP OS installation disk when asked.

_______________________________________ ________________

3)Start XP with OS installation disk and choose the repair option R.
    « Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 06:32:45 PM by billrich »

ipagel

Topic Starter

Starter

Thanks very  much but i saw other people had this problem too and have been following the antispyware method.

thanks very much though.

billrich

Posted by: ipagel :

"Thanks very  much but I saw other people had this problem too and have been following the anti spyware method."

How did you solve the problem?  Where is the "anti spyware method" discussed?

ipagel

Topic Starter

Starter

There is a thread called:  no start menu or icons just below this one.

as i could load software through task manager i downloaded and ran the avg anti virus and the things then appeared. i have then done the rest of the guide in that post and posted my logs and i am now waiting for a reply.

thanks again for your help