Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: confused  (Read 2169 times)

shelby.roc

Topic Starter

confused
    « on: February 24, 2009, 01:34:07 PM »
    Hi I have a emachine laptop, about 5 yrs old. It refuses to boot up. gets part way and screen fills with vertical lines(muti color) From reading forems on this web sight I found one program running I got it closed. but did not help. seems to go better in boot up when warmed up. tryed restote dist but cant get far enough to complete. tryed safe mode with no help. Md. #M5405 XP Home. Built in wireless. Not heating up. What direction should I go. Help.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: confused
    « Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 02:49:52 PM »
    Sounds like a potentially critical hardware failure. Reading your post you state that it starts off ok and then you start to get lines that appear and I am guessing it gets worse to the point that the display is not legible.

I have seen three causes for this ( all hardware related ):

1.) GPU is bad  - for the video, and when the system boots and the GPU Graphics Processing Unit warms and it starts to get progressively worse with no lines or blocks, then a few and then many. ( This is a critical failure and the laptop at this point is toast if the GPU is shot. )

2.) Bad Ram - Laptops usually share a portion of Ram from system Ram, and a bad Ram stick is causing the GPU to render improperly. If the laptop has an extra Ram stick in it paired with another stick. Remove one of them and try to boot the system from each stick individually to see if one stick causes the problems and the other to work fine. If it works out this way you now know your solution ( throw away the bad stick or replace it.)

3.) Bad LCD display - Easiest way to tell if the display or the GPU is the cause is to plug in a VGA monitor to the auxilary VGA port if available to see if although the laptops display is full of lines, the external VGA display shows perfectly fine and the computer runs fine. ( LCD displays can be replaced, but on a 5 year old system, it would be better to leave that external VGA display plugged into that laptop and use it as a desktop for the remaining life of that laptop than to spend over $300 to replace the LCD display. ( If hardware savvy you could try to find a same laptop on ebay etc with a good display and mix guts to make one good unit for less money. But it is a lot of precision work and patience with precision screwdrivers.)

shelby.roc

Topic Starter

Re: confused
      « Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 05:17:41 PM »
      Thanks for the reply; The Full screen vertical lines dont appear slowly and progress.
      The computer will some times start boot and maybe get to windows or sometimes even progress to home page. But somewhere in the process will all of a sudden be full screen full color vertical lines. Some may be 1/8" to 3" all colors. Tried other monitor attached. Some times showing same and sometimes blank. How would I know if there are two sticks and where would they be.  Acts same way with or without restore dist. Acts as if a screen saver picture is trying to take over. Is there any other way to boot up so i can delete Kodiak pictures or do you think is something else. Please dont leave me, I need help!!!!