Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Restore Windows from DOS?  (Read 4432 times)

finkey

Topic Starter

Starter

Restore Windows from DOS?
    « on: February 24, 2009, 08:25:59 AM »
    Hi -  I don't have an A: drive, but Windows Backup requires it for a fresh restore.  Can this be done from the DOS prompt in C:?  Thanks in advance for any help.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Restore Windows from DOS?
    « Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 11:04:53 AM »
    I havent been able to do it through DOS, however from NT Backup I have been able to install a fresh copy of the Windows OS from CD ( after first making sure that the backup data is on an external media like external or 2nd hard drive to avoid total data loss!! ) then from the clean build use the Windows NT Backup to restore this backup overtop of the clean build to get you back to where you want to be. System then just needs to be restarted after restore and you should be all set.

Biggest compatability hurdle for DOS and Windows today is DOS's inability of accessing NTFS drives   ::)    Only tools out there to access NTFS drives at a DOS level are actually built on LINUX

finkey

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 11:23:49 AM »
      Thanks Dave,

Yes, I too found I had to use the Windows CD for a fresh install.  Then I backed up over it and found two (!) directories of \WINDOWS and some confusion and mismatch on the system.  So I resorted to the usual format and fresh install of everything.  Now, I just back up my personal files system state.  It doesn't bring me exactly back to before is close enough.  I'll do your tips for next time and thanks for the help.

Sonya

DaveLembke

Sage
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 02:27:38 PM »
      No problem...glad it worked out for you.   ;D

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 05:02:52 PM »

Biggest compatability hurdle for DOS and Windows today is DOS's inability of accessing NTFS drives   ::)    Only tools out there to access NTFS drives at a DOS level are actually built on LINUX

NTFSDOS:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/NTFSDOS-Professional.shtml

it cost's money, but it allows you to read and change the files on any NTFS drive.

basically it wraps the 32-bit NTFS.sys driver from Windows and emulates the 32-bit calls in the DOS environment; so almost anything Windows can do with NTFS DOS can with this driver installed.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

finkey

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 05:05:28 PM »
        Thank you, I'll follow up on this link!

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 05:08:15 PM »
        wait- my post was merely for DaveLembke's Info regarding accessing NTFS drives through DOS.

His method is much more foolproof- make regular backups, and if you have a system crash, reinstall windows and restore the backup after reinstallation.

the only reliable way to make a full system backup otherwise is with a drive imaging utility.
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.