Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Wanted: Advice for a new computer. POST II  (Read 4165 times)

wishforanswers

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Wanted: Advice for a new computer. POST II
    « on: February 23, 2009, 04:13:28 AM »
    Error 1598 = Try a different computer.  :'(

I need a computer that doesn’t use a lot of electricity because I am off the grid and work off a solar system, with a supply of 110v-120volts.  I would like a computer that uses less than 200watts including
    the monitor.

The computer must also work in an extremely dusty dirty environment, (a greasy junk yard in a desert) so I need a computer with at least the accessibility of a desktop. A desktop would be all right, one that doesn’t gut-down too much power. Perhaps my best bet would be to make up a desktop from components.

Although I would prefer to get away from Microsoft, I simply do not have the intellect to accomplish anything with Linux. Dual boot would be nice, because maybe my mind will expand enough so I could fiddle with the Linux. However I would rather be doing other things than fixing computers.  Grin

I have tried the laptop route, however they are not easy to service, (at least for me) and they get so darn hot, you can cook an egg on them.

I still sometimes use my old (1994) IBM Aptiva 486. This is an extremely reliable machine; it has never failed me in 14 years of use. It has been frozen down to minus –40 many times, and still has the original clock battery, and it has been absolutely filthy many times, and it runs like a kitten. It opens and closes lighting fast, just hit the power on/off switch; There is no fiddling around with, START, TURN OFF COMPUTER, and all that windows and gates stuff.

I am not a rich guy, but I will pay good money for a good machine, or should I just stick with Walmart?
    Maybe its all crap now-a-days.
    Unfortunately the old desktop guts down to much power, among other things. So what can I do?

Thanks for any advice. P.S. This site's features works well.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Wanted: Advice for a new computer. POST II
    « Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 04:18:35 AM »
    What's with the double post?

wishforanswers

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 04:22:09 AM »
      Carbon Dudeoxide. Double post? Well I am supposing different people will have there favourite folders, what do you recommend?

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 05:12:14 AM »
      I recommend continuing here:
      http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,77498.html

We don't like users posting more than once because it gets much too confusing and it is unnecessary. Topic closed.