Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help with wireless home network please!  (Read 2638 times)

tsween

Topic Starter

Help with wireless home network please!
    « on: February 19, 2009, 08:07:04 PM »
    I am trying to install a router and a wireless network to my home computer so I can use the internet on my laptop through wireless.  I have the router hooked up and I ran the wireless network setup wizard.  It all worked fine I thought.  When I try to connect on my laptop, there is a little yellow triangle with an explamation point over the top of the little monitor picture on the bottom right corner of my screen.  When I park on it it says:

Wireless connection
    Speed: 54 MBPS
    Signal strength excellent

When I click on it to get the wireless connection status up, then click on the support tab, it says "you might not be able to access the internet.  This problem occurred because the network did not assign a network address to the computer"

I clicked on repair and it tried to repair it but a box comes up that says "Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed:

Renewing your IP address

I am not sure where to go from here.  If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it.  I am using XP home with the service pack 3 on both PC's.  Thanks!!!!

lambo

Rookie

Re: Help with wireless home network please!
      « Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 11:55:59 AM »
      you need to set your adaptor to Obtain an IP address automatically

http://www.wolfson.cam.ac.uk/computers/roomconnection/setdhcp/windowsxp.html

tsween

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 02:20:41 PM »
        Ok, I followed your link and went through all of that.  Nothing needed to be changed, it all was already the way it should be according to the link.  Any other ideas?

Thank you for taking the time to help me with this.  I will be very surprised but happy if someone can help me successfully.

andilynn89

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 08:11:52 PM »
        You can reset your ip to a static (univerasal) ip and it hsould work. i had the same problem with mine and i at least got that problem fixed.

click on your start menu; go to control panel; click on network and internet connections; scroll down and click on network connections; right click your wireless network connection; click on properties; in general view second box youll see internet protocol (tcp,ip) left click on it to hightlight it then click properties;  click on "use the following ip address" put in 192.168.1.100 subnet mask should be 255.25.255.0 default gateway 192.168.1.1     hope this workd for you!

chyrl

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 01:04:50 AM »
          Hi there,

Can you post a guide for Windows Vista Home Basic PCs?
          I'm currenly using this OS and would like to know the procedures using Vista Home Basic.

Thanks.