Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Constant Reboots--I suspect the PSU  (Read 1868 times)

Stevv

Topic Starter

Rookie

Constant Reboots--I suspect the PSU
    « on: March 02, 2009, 01:07:57 PM »
    Hi, I have a computer from late 2007 with these specifications:

Windows Vista Home Premium
    I'm not sure the model of my motherboard, but it is made by ECS
    GeForce 8600 graphics card
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6500 processor
    2 GB DDR2 OCZ RAM
    320 GB hard drive
    Eagle Tech Cool Power 500 Watt PSU

For the past few weeks, My computer would reboot a lot and the time between reboots would vary between about 3 seconds and many hours.  We looked up a bit why it was happening, and we found one guy's motherboard was dying, which I hope isn't happening to me, and another guy found his RAM and graphics card connections weren't in correctly.  So we opened to computer and vacuumed a lot of dust out, but all the connections were good, although the problem still persisted.  When the computer was rebooting like every 5 seconds, I would wiggle the PSU cable and the problem would be fixed for between a few hours and a day. 

However, this afternoon, the computer wouldn't stay on for more than a few seconds before rebooting no matter what I did to the cable.  After a while I realized something very bad had happened, because the little lights on my wireless keyboard signal thing weren't on (and they are still on when the computer is off).  Also, I couldn't hear my PSU on (you can usually hear it pretty well when the computer is off).  When I unplugged it and replugged it back in, the lights on my keyboard thing would go on for a second, but back off again.  This all leads me to believe that it is the PSU.  I got it for -1¢ (after only $20 in rebate) and the reviews weren't great.  The only other thing could be the graphics card fan not running which I can't see even with my see-through case, but I think the computer would still at least turn on if it wasn't working.  If you think it might not be the PSU, please tell me and thank you

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Constant Reboots--I suspect the PSU
    « Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 01:14:36 PM »
    Borrow a known good PSU of the same or greater wattage and swap it in there to see if the issue goes away...if so replace it.
    I'd stay away from the 20 Dollar specials though...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Stevv

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 02:01:16 PM »
      Wow I  think it was actually the power chord.  I went to the computer we never used to get its PSU, but before I did all this work I put in that computer's power chord just to see if it worked, and it did!  I'm so happy I didn't waste like an hour changing PSU's.  Thanks.

Stevv

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 08:23:42 PM »
        Nevermind, it still reboots, I guess the chord is only helping for a couple more days or weeks.  But if the PSU is definately the problem, I'll surely need a new one, because the other one is 8 years old, is 350 Watts (I believe the bare minimum for my graphics card) and I'm not even sure if it connects to SATA hard drives, because that computer has an IDE hard drive.