Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: installing XP over Vista  (Read 2006 times)

daedalus8

installing XP over Vista
« on: March 02, 2009, 11:35:26 AM »
Hello All,

Since almost all new computers now come with Windows Vista (I am interested in a laptop on sale from one of the big box outlets as an option to Dell, HP, Lenovo via online sales);  how difficult might it be to install XP over the installed Vista?

TIA,

genn

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: installing XP over Vista
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 12:06:08 PM »
Best thing to do after deciding on a model is to travel to the manuf. website to see if XP drivers are available for the machine...
Many big manuf. however such as Dell are still offering XP as an option because of high demand.
My sister recently got a laptop and requested XP and it came installed and also shipped with a Full Vista Upgrade CD...best of both worlds.
However if you already have XP i would order it with Vista so you can burn it to a DVD for later use.
The method for installing XP on a Vista machine is not overly complicated but keep in mind DRIVERS are key...

Let us know....
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

bboy131

Greenhorn

Re: installing XP over Vista
    « Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 10:58:06 PM »
    It isn't difficult at all. Just pop in the CD, restart the laptop and do a fresh install over Vista. You could always do a dual boot as well by making a second partition and installing it on one. That way you keep Vista and XP.
    http://www.techslip.net - Free PC Help, Proud Sponsor Of Pro Gamers Worldwide!