Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: gparted doesn't see restored partitions  (Read 1950 times)

anuvaadya

gparted doesn't see restored partitions
« on: March 03, 2009, 04:15:03 AM »
Hello. I joined Computer Hope right now. :-)

My problem that I'm looking for help with is like this:

I wanted to install Windows 98 SE on my computer (pentium iii, and 30 GB harddrive). But I'd already installed some Linuxes on the first partitions. Not knowing that Win98SE needs to be located at the first partition (I think I read this, afterwards) I tried to install in a partition towards the end of the harddrive. At some point during the installation, I'm not exactly sure where, the partitions all disappeared. I think it was when I was using FDISK for ms-dos to prepare a partition to use for the installation.

Anyway, I was able to get back the harddrive partitions and their content by using a linux software called testdisk. So that was of course a relief, to again have my partitions and files. File browsers see the partitions and files, and I can open files normally, for example a word processing document or an image, and I can also save normally on the harddrive, for example files of the types I mentioned. It works like normally, that way. The linux partitioning software called cfdisk also sees the partitions. My problem, however, is that GUI partitioning software (like the linux software gparted) do not any longer see the partitions. Instead, these GUI partitioning tools tell me the harddrive has only one partition (of 30 GB, which is the whole harddrive), which seems to be what state the harddrive was in before I used testdisk to restore the partitions...

I'm wondering why those graphical tools don't see the restored partitions. Is there something I can do to so to say show gparted the restored partitions? Thanks a lot in advance for any pointers.