Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer Stops Responding  (Read 1843 times)

Rya

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Computer Stops Responding
    « on: March 02, 2009, 08:13:51 PM »
    Specs:
    Toshiba A205-S5804 Satellite
    Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit SP-1
    Intel Pentium Dual CPU T2330 @ 1.60GHz / 1.60GHz
    2GB RAM

AVG 8.0.237
    Spybot S&D (teatimer disabled)
    CCleaner 2.12.660

Any more info you need lemme know.

Short Description of Problem: Clock resets and computer stops responding.

In Depth Description
    A couple of days ago my computer decided to reset it's internal clock and everything stopped responding immediately. I tried resetting my system time (it reset itself to January 1st 1899 00:0:00) and as soon as everything loaded after it restart, the clock reset itself (to December 31st, 1980 12:00AM). Then Windows updater went insane thinking it had alot of catching up to do, and all my programs that run off my time went haywire. Well, after i got them all settled down, and started using them (one at a time just in case), they started not responding. After toying around i figured i could use Skype and Google Chrome together, only.

Well, just yesterday i opened up my memory thing and took my memory out, and put it back in, thinking my memory had jiggled loose. That solved all of the problem, up until now.

Now it's resetting after being on for so long. It used to shut down after so long, but now the clock resets itself and programs stop responding.

I think part of my problem is the CMOS battery thing may have died or is loose. But could overheating also be the problem?

If there's anything else you need to know, let me know. I have run scans regularly, my computer runs normally til it's been on for a few hours.

This has only started happening this year (2009), my computer is about a year old.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Computer Stops Responding
    « Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 07:35:39 AM »
    Sounds like you're correct about the CMOS battery...
    You may want to double check your purchase date, it might still be under warranty.
    They will at least give you a good deal on battery replacement and a cleanout of all fans and vents...
    Good Luck.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "