Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: computer won't turn on  (Read 3794 times)

shannamar

computer won't turn on
« on: April 28, 2005, 05:13:06 PM »
my parents recently shipped me their old computer (that I boxed up in Dec. 2004 and that was working when I boxed it up) and it won't turn on.

first, when i plugged it all in, the green light on the back would come on and as soon as i would push the button on the front, it would click off.

so i opened up the case. and i cleaned it out -- there was a lot of dust and dog hair in i took it all out of the fans and stuff (it was bad, they live in the west and there was tons of dust).

when i plugged it back in and the green light came on and i pushed the front button, it actually came on. i was very excited and there was an error about some fatal error or exception or something. (silly me--i didn't write the code down...)

so... i thought all was great. until i attempted to turn it back on after it being off for about 2 weeks.

now the problem is back--green light comes on .. but nobody's home..

does anyone have any suggestions? i would be most grateful! thank you...

drewdown619

Re: computer won't turn on
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2005, 05:47:36 PM »
Quick question...  When you push the power button does the fan kick on also?  Let us know...

Shanna Marie

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2005, 09:53:15 AM »
Nope, no fan.

rs8389

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2005, 01:59:58 AM »
Sooo.... Power light turns on, but nothing else happens?  No HDD sounds, no fans, no mouse turning on, no keyboard lights flashing...?

Computer_Commando

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2005, 09:19:09 AM »
Probably dust inside the power supply has killed it.

Shanna

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2005, 02:27:14 PM »
>>Sooo.... Power light turns on, but nothing else happens?  No HDD sounds, no fans, no mouse turning on, no keyboard >>lights flashing...?

Right--but let me clarify. The green power light comes on on the back but as soon as I hit the front power button the green light on the back immediately goes off.

In response to the second reply--if there is dust in the power supply how do I fix that? Get a new one or something? (can I?)

rs8389

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2005, 10:42:24 PM »
Getting a new one would be your best bet....  Btw, you can get them off of http://www2.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Submit=Go&DEPA=0&type=&description=&Category=32&minPrice=&maxPrice=&Go.x=18&Go.y=27 for pretty cheap..

Shanna

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2005, 01:22:37 PM »
I replaced the lithium battery on the motherboard and all has fixed itself.

Thank you for all your help and suggestions!