Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Delegation of Authority to Defrag to Users.  (Read 2634 times)

Baffled

Topic Starter

Beginner

Delegation of Authority to Defrag to Users.
    « on: March 04, 2009, 09:19:33 AM »
    Hi,
    I look after a small number of PCs which I wish to keep defragged. However, all of our users have user status. So, even if I use smartdefrag the Windows XP and 2000 PCs won't allow the users to defrag.

Is there any way I can delegate defagability to ordinary users? Then I can set up smartdefrag to keep their PCs in order.

Thanks

:-\

bpruitt

Greenhorn

Re: Delegation of Authority to Defrag to Users.
      « Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 09:37:15 AM »
      Someone may be able to correct me on this, but older versions of windows (especially 2000) have horrible customization options for things like you're talking about.

My knowledge is limited, but im fairly certain that it requires professional versions of the OS, along with windows based scripting knowledge (for example, when i worked for FedEx ground, the tech manager for our Hub was able to manipulate windows in ways i've never thought possible"

But it was because FedEx had a certain version of windows, etc.

I guess my opinion is that you'll have to manually defrag each machine by using your own personal admin account on them.

Baffled

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 09:45:16 AM »
        Thanks. All our PCs have either Windows 2000 Professional or Windows xp Professional. (We do have a couple of laptops with Vista Home Premium installed, but we don't like to talk about them.. The black sheep of the family, you know!).

bpruitt

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 09:54:13 AM »
          Windows includes a Disk Defragmenter tool. Although any user can gain access to the Disk Defragmenter console, the ability to analyze or defragment a volume requires administrator privileges.

Source

:(

Baffled

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 09:58:39 AM »
            I am fully aware of this thanks. This is the core of my problem. I see no reason why users should not have the ability to defrag the hard drive. In fact, I want smart defrag to do this behind the scenes for them whilst they are logged on. Unfortunately, they are not allow administrator rights as a company rule.

I would like to delegate the authority to defrag the hard drive to ordinary users logged in as Users.

Is there any way this authority can be delegated?

Thanks