Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: drwtsn.exe  (Read 7445 times)

dragondog

drwtsn.exe
« on: April 28, 2005, 06:40:49 PM »
I am currently having a problem opening my files, everytime I click on one of my folders my computer freezes up.  To unlock   my computer I have to go into task manager and end the process named drwtsn.exe.  I believe a virus may be the cause of this problem but I wanted to see if anyone knew a remedy without loading any anti spyware software.  Also can someone explain to me what that file does.  I am currently using Windows XP.

Thanks

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: drwtsn.exe
    « Reply #1 on: April 28, 2005, 07:09:37 PM »
    dragondog........Well....just to set the record straight .....antispyware software isn't anti-virus software ...they deal with differant issues .

Dr. Watson is a software utility included with Microsoft Windows that is used to help detect, decode and log errors that are encountered while windows or windows programs are running.

A user can run Dr. Watson by clicking Start / Run and typing "drwatson" and clicking ok. The Windows NT and 2000 Version of Dr. Watson can be ran by click Start / Run and typing "drwtsn32". When running Dr. Watson you should see either a new task on your toolbar or on your systray indicating that Dr. Watson is running in the background. If errors are frequently occurring run Dr. Watson to help get additional information about the error.

Do you have a current anti-virus program installed ?
    I would suggest you run a scan .

As far as a remedy for not ending up with spyware and adware ........ABSOLUTELY ............Turn off your computer and step away from the keyboard .......
    or ........Download and install a decent antispyware scanner .....

let us know

dl65  ::)

If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

dragondog

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2005, 12:41:41 PM »
    Thank you for responding and your right, I guess all that stuff comes with the territory when using a computer.  I will give it a try and let you know how I fare.  

Thanks again. Dl65 :)

dragondog

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2005, 01:08:43 PM »
    I tried your suggestion and it came up with no errors.  I think I will try to install antivirus software and anti spyware, do you have any recommendations?  And do you also know of anything I can try for free that would work.

Thanks again.  :D

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2005, 02:27:04 PM »
      dragondog....Ok .....give these a try ......
      Anti virus ...... AVG  ( free ) ........
      http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1     d/l the NEW AVG ANTI-VIRUS FREE EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!

Antispyware ......  
      Antispyware Beta  ( free ) .....
      http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx       it's very good ......

Antispyware .........  Ad-Aware SE personel ( free)
      http://www.majorgeeks.com/download506.html   ( not as good as Antispyware but not bad ) .

If your pc is infected with some virus ...now ......you should probably d/l  STINGER ........ but use a differant pc and save it to a floppy disc and then run it on yours .
      http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/     .......This is not a full time virus scanner , but rather a cleaning tool if your pc is currently infected .......the virus may not let you d/l from M/S .

let us know

dragondog

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2005, 06:19:29 PM »
      dl65.

I did what you suggested and used microsoft anti spyware, ran a check and I was ideed infected.  The scan read something like unclassisfied.Spyware.65., so I tried to remove it at first but it came right back on so i quarantined it and lo and behold I could access my files.

Can this file be removed completely or do I just need to keep it in quarantine?  Is this something I should be concerned about as far as allowing other spyware on my computer.

You are truly a god send, thank you for your time and response.  ;D

dragondog

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2005, 06:30:10 PM »
      Well it seems that I may have spoke to soon.  As soon as I wrote this to you I went to My computer and the same problem came up.  I know I am on the right track as far as the problem so I'll try AVG next to see if it will help.

I'll give you an update as soon as I try it.  Thanks dl :)

Fed

• Sage
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #7 on: April 29, 2005, 06:46:15 PM »
        Nothing better than a good  Bug Hunt.  :D

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2005, 06:59:57 PM »
          dragondog......Ok .......here's what to try .....
          First........turn off system restore . To do this ......close up everthing .......now ...click start/All programs/accessories/system tools/ then system restore......when restore window opens click on system restore settings .........when that opens  put a ckeck mark in Turn off system restore in all drives . Click apply and ok .......
          Next .......click start /control panel / folder options/ click the view tab ........no scroll down to show hidden files and folders and put a mark in the circle .......click apply and ok .....
          Now reboot into safe Mode ( repeatedly tap F8 key as soon as the pc starts to boot ) and select SAFE Mode .
          Once it loads in safe mode ( it will look differant than normal)  Now rescan again with Antispyware .....make sure you do a deep scan......try and delete the pest from quarantine folder .......If it wont ..........leave it in quarantine.  Now run AVG anti virus and delete anything it finds ......

When your finished .......reboot back into normal mode .

Let us know

« Last Edit: April 29, 2005, 07:00:39 PM by dl65 »

dragondog

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2005, 07:17:27 PM »
          That sounds like a plan to me.  I'll try it and let you know as soon as I finish.  It probably won't be until later tomorrow, my eyes are killing me and I need to get away from this computer, maybe a few drinks would help.

Thanks DL.  

:)

dragondog

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2005, 05:29:27 PM »
          Thanks Merlin.
          Now as far as my problem I still can't get it to work.  I ran a scan with Microsoft's software and it scanned spyware in the form of Unclassified.spyware.65.  I ran a scan in safe mode as you suggested dl and no luck.  After being able to access my files it locks me out again.  the location of the file reads as c\windowswinfc32.dll and another scan resulted it being in a file named c\windows\winxe32.dll.  
          In the words of the famous Beatles, "Help"

Thanks.