Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: p4 crashes , heat issue?  (Read 3689 times)

deokat

p4 crashes , heat issue?
« on: April 28, 2005, 07:37:04 PM »
I just upgraded from a 2.7 celeron to a 3.o p4  800 fsb 1 mb l2 cache I have been plauged with random crashes I have done it all vpu bios mobo, bio upgrade tried every driver known to man and I think this whole time it was the heat I was only crashing in game with the celeron this never happened I thought it was just a driver issue but after what i been through i will be very surprised if it is drivers my p4 at idle speed is about 48 -52 * c when i am in game I have noticed it to go over 70*c they say max temp for a p4 is 75* c but that seems awful hot can these temps cause  random crashes I just ordered a spark 7 thermolake cpu cooler w/ 6500 rpm fan and a copper heatsink I hope this with a good coat of silver paste artic fox? will fix my crashes my question is ,  is the heat issue probably the reason for these crashes/
I have troublesot from every other angle covering all my bases i am at my wits end if this isnt the problem? :-/
« Last Edit: April 28, 2005, 07:39:04 PM by deokat »

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: p4 crashes , heat issue?
    « Reply #1 on: April 28, 2005, 11:29:27 PM »
    Have you tried the game sites for patches / fixes?
    Is it one game in particular?
    You could take off the computer cover just to see if that makes a difference?
    Is directX up to date?

African

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2005, 02:24:29 AM »
    Just had the same experience. Three things needed to be done. First make sure your power supply is large enough. I upgraded mine to 350W. Second; add a larger case fan as the heat monitor covers more than the processor area. third; adjust the default setting on the monitor temperature. before you do that check if the processor is actually getting hot. sometimes the sensors are faulty. a 75C temp is too hot to touch. if you can touch the processor heat sink and do not feel the burn, then it is not 75C and the sensor is faulty. mine was. I run all kinds of games now without an alarm coming off.

deokat

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2005, 01:23:42 PM »
    You said you went through the same thing? did you also upgrade to a P4? I am currently running my pc with the side off and a window fan up against it my system temp is about 22*c I can almost keep ice cream in it now   :P and it runs fine not a single crash when i do that, while in game I turned it off and 20 min later crash city :( so other than looking really tacky and sounding like i am landing a chinhook helecopter in my room it has fixed my problem. but I cant leave it like this and i dont have $300 to invest in a water cooler but i did order a spark 7 from new egg check it out
    http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=0-N82E16835106032

I hope this will take care of the cpu core temp, but i am starting to think that the case temp is crucial also I have 2 case fan 1. 3200 rpm - in  and 1. 3200 rpm out and the cpu fan i have coming runs up tp 6800 rpm (I think thats close if not right) but i think I will add 2 more fans 1 in 1 out to try and give me the wind tunnel;) effect.
    I have a 4000 watt ps so i dont thing that is an issue although with any more fans it might be.  lol did yours have random crashes also? I am 43 yrs old and more serious than a 14 yr old kid when it comes to gaming I game online with 3 diffrent clans on teams that compete in leagues and these old men like my self take gaming to heart and when your team is counting on you for a win, a crash can be a disaster So I must fix this! thank you very much for your help and if anything else comes to mind let me know
    thx
    [email protected]

rs8389

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2005, 01:54:16 AM »
    Haha, yup, I had the same problem as you too...  Heat problem indeed.  Well, my case really sucks =P  Fortunately enough, though, it was a case that had a window on the side, so I just took off the window....  That increased the air circulation, and I've been crash-free ever since =]

Kablam

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2005, 03:18:27 AM »
    going over 70* is too high. i would advice sticking some more fans in. Not taking the side of your computer and it will only increase the dust inside your computer whcih can clog up heat sinks increasing the problem aswell as grinding your p.c to a hault.

If all else fails buy a nice new coolmaster case with 10 fans as standard. if your p.c still has problems then it definatly isn't heat

African

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2005, 05:43:44 AM »
    I upgraded to a P4 3.2G with intel mobo that has a monitor software that keeps beeping when the temp gets hotter and worns me before a crash happens. so I did not get too many crashes. Yesterday I added anothe PCI card and that increased the case temp and got a zone 2  alarm (not the CPU). when I opened the case the heatsink over the main chip was hot to the touch. when I took the PCI card out it did not get hot. So I added a fan mounted to the heatsink and put the PCI card back. So far so good. Intel Mobo and P4 are known to run hot. there are a lot of info at Intel site on that.

deokat

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2005, 07:23:29 AM »
    my case is pretty good about temp it stays right around 30*c - 34*c , that is decent isn't it? but i think I will still add to more fans in the back of the case 1 in  1out I have 1 going out on the side and 1 going in on the top and yes it is very important to take the heat sink out and clean every so often even though i use compressed air to clean my pc often I had my celeron over heat once because my heatsink was packed full of dust allowing no air what so ever learned that the hard way  :-/