Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Gateway ram-advice  (Read 2997 times)

charliebrown

Gateway ram-advice
« on: April 29, 2005, 10:58:39 AM »
My co-worker has a gateway Performance 1400 computer with 128mb of lovely RDRAM (two 64mb modules) and c-rimms taking up the empty memory expansion slots.  He wants to upgrade to 256mb of ram.  Can he buy two more 64mb modules and replace the c-rimms with those, thus having a matched set of 4 64mb modules...or should he take out the two 64s and replace them with two 128mb modules...or does it matter?

gateway's customer support sucks, to put it mildly...they won;t give out any "do it yourself" support info, even if they do know the answer, which 9/10 times they do not.
Any help sincerely appreciated. ;)

Computer_Commando

Re: Gateway ram-advice
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2005, 12:35:41 PM »
Can't find any information on Gateway's website without knowing the Serial Number.  No listing for Performance 1400.  Crucial has a listing, but since it has RDAM, it refers you to this:  http://www.crucial.com/kb/

It appears you're stuck with RDAM.  

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2005, 02:41:28 PM »
    charliebrown.....This info is from the tiger direct site .......
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Category/category_memory.asp

Must be installed in pairs!

BRAND  SPEED  SIZE  PRICE
     Premium 800MHz PC800 Continuity RIMM $3.99    
     Premium 800MHz PC800 128MB $51.99    
     US Modular 800MHz PC800 128MB $54.99    
     US Modular 800MHz PC800 128MB $56.99    
     Corsair 800MHz PC800 128MB $64.99    
     K-Byte 800MHz PC800 256MB $104.99    
     Corsair 800MHz PC800 256MB $124.99    
     US Modular 800MHz PC800 512MB $244.99    

hope this helps .

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

charliebrown

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2005, 06:30:45 PM »
     ::)
    Thanks to both of you!  Yes, we're stuck but at least have a source for more ram for him...my advice was to get 128 more to see him through until he can junk the Gateway and get something less proprietary and "exotic".   I thought Compaq was bad until I started going through his manual and got on Gateway's support page...the worst mess I've ever seen as far as being able to upgrade and get simple information.  I have a Compaq 5070 that I use strictly for my Line 6 amp programming and occasionally with a Roland digital recorder and had to jump through a few hoops to configure stuff, but NOTHING as bad as Gateway.  Gateway gave my buddy ZERO help identifying his memory needs, except to tell him the modules he needed were "no longer available" or being supported.

I really hate talking smack about companies, but I'm developing an intolerance for businesses that set out to lock you in to their little domains and set you up so you have no recourse but to deal with them...and then discontinue support for a product, smile and shrug their shoulders.  I love and value good customer support...the bad ones get my rath and never get my $ again.

:P Another valuable lesson learned!

Many thanks!!!
    « Last Edit: April 29, 2005, 06:32:33 PM by charliebrown »

Computer_Commando

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2005, 09:16:20 AM »
    ...I thought Compaq was bad until I started going through his manual and got on Gateway's support page...

I agree.  I recently acquired an older Gateway.  The CDROM was shot.  They used a proprietary curved tray front, so nothing standard fit.  Luckily, I acquired another Gateway that used the same CDROM.  Even the top of the tower is curved, so you can't place anything on top.  However, the motherboard is an Intel.  It's all about style...style sells.