Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: problem sharing hardDrive between Vista and XP  (Read 2083 times)

hot dog

problem sharing hardDrive between Vista and XP
« on: March 09, 2009, 10:16:52 PM »
I have two computers networked together.  One is a Vista OS and the other is an XP OS.  This might sound confusing so please bare with me.

I can successfully map the Vista drive when I'm on the XP computer, and I can Successfully map the XP drive, when I'm on the Vista computer, but it's not all equal..

When I'm on the XP computer I AM able to access all the folders on the Vista hard drive, but I am unable to save any documents from the XP computer to the Vista harddrive.  I get a "you do not have permission" error.

Other problem is, when I'm on the Vista computer and I access the mapped harddrive on the XP computer, I'm not allowed to access all folders...I'm "denied" access to the "Windows" and "Program Files" folders, however I AM able to save documents from the Vista computer onto the XP harddrive.

Make sense?? 

any suggestions here........... ;D

hot dog

Re: problem sharing hardDrive between Vista and XP
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 10:51:54 PM »
new info...

I've just discovered that the "Windows" and "Programs Files" folders on the XP computer cannot be shared, supposedly because they are being "used" by the operating system.......which is fine,,,,,whatever

So the only question I have at this point is, how do I get "permission" to save documents to the Vista HardDrive, when I'm on the XP, computer.........When I try to save documents or files to the Vista HardDrive using the "save as" command I get a, "You do not have permission to save to this directory" error..

I suppose I could just put the document in a folder that is shared, but I'd just like to figure out how to save directy to the HardDrive... ;D

Archer

Beginner

• Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
Re: problem sharing hardDrive between Vista and XP
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 03:59:28 AM »
Hi there!
I've just discovered that the "Windows" and "Programs Files" folders on the XP computer cannot be shared, supposedly because they are being "used" by the operating system.......

You're wrong. It's because of XP's (Lovely NTFS!) SelfGuarding. The Win-9x give access to ANY folder You want; XP - refuses... As for Vista - it is concerned about safety much more than both of them.
   Open context menu of the Vista's folder or Drive You want to share;
   - select Properties;
   - go to Security (I guess that's pretty correct translation) tab;
   - press Change;
   - select 'All' or 'EveryOne' (I don't remember the English version) from the Groups and Users;
   - check Allow 'Full Access' on lower window;
   - than OK - and here You go!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 08:35:08 AM by Archer »
良し! いこう! いこぜ みんな!