Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Boot Disk Problem  (Read 2139 times)

rbriant

Boot Disk Problem
« on: March 15, 2009, 01:38:21 PM »
I have a Dell 1500 desktop system running Win XP.  Frequently, the PC fails to reboot; giving a "boot disk not found" error - Press F1 ...".

Pressing F1 does not correct the problem.  So far, I can get the PC to boot by disconnecting the data cable from the hard drive and reconnecting it.  This is happening more and more frequently.

Are there any settings I can check or is replacing the hard disk the only option?

Appreciate your advice.

Ray Briant
California

Dias de verano

Re: Boot Disk Problem
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 03:16:16 PM »
You may just need a new data cable - the fact that the system boots after you have handled the cable suggests that it may be damaged. Anyway it's a cheap thing to try.

BKDC

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 03:16:46 PM »
    Try this:

*** you must have the Windows XP CD-ROM ***

1. Restart your pc in the safe mode.
    2. Run a virus scanning program to verify that no virus is present.
    3.Repair the master boot record by using the FIXMBR command from the Windows XP Recovery Console.
    4. If the primary boot partition is a FAT partition, use the FIXBOOT command from the Windows XP Recovery Console to write a new boot sector on the system partition, and then use the FIXMBR command to repair the master boot record.
    When we are young, we learn. When we get old, we understand.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 03:20:12 PM »
      you can also just do a repair after the windows xp disk boots if you have one or useing it.  also, has it done this previously?  It mite not be formatted correctly if you had done that yourself.
      Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres