Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Recovery & reinstall  (Read 2724 times)

Rky_MtnHike

Recovery & reinstall
« on: March 12, 2009, 12:53:37 PM »
Any help/links greatly appreciated;

I have a Dell E521 desktop with Vista Home Premium.

I booted it, got to the sign on screen, typed screen name, PW, and when I hit the return key, Windows proceeded to go into "Windows is Shutting Down" and rebooted back to the sign in screen, as though I had selected the “restart” option.  It, again reached the sign in screen and  repeats the  restarting cycle.

I was able to reach my desktop for a brief moment after a restore option (and in safe mode) but seconds later got "Windows is Shutting Down"

I tried selecting several "safe mode" options but it would consistently go into "Shutting Down"

On selecting a restore point It would give the error message that there was were errors on the drive . After  selecting  the prompt to scan/repair ,  I would  get the message it could not be repaired (with no more options)  and I would get the error message, to repair start up that resulted in "start up cannot be repaired."

I found an article, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894278 that describes a virus, Reloadmedude.exe. that would seem to somewhat explain the symptoms I have.

I would like to repair it but it may be easier in the long run to pull the drive and slave? it on another Vista desktop and get the my data off it before I reformat and reinstall Vista, which I would probably do regardless.