Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HELP! Taskbar disappears for no reason  (Read 3292 times)

Nicole Kelly

HELP! Taskbar disappears for no reason
« on: May 01, 2005, 11:05:27 AM »
HELP!  Please!  I have a huge problem that no one seems to be able to answer.  Just recently I had a backdoor virus on my computer.  It was removed completely yesterday.  Anyway.  Since I got the virus my taskbar (which is in the locked (not hidden) position) just up and disappears for no reason at all.  I have to restart my computer at least 6 or more times a day just to get it back.  It is really annoying.  I didn 't have this problem before the virus and now I don't know what to do.  Please email me with HELP!

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: HELP! Taskbar disappears for no reason
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2005, 01:28:36 PM »
Scan again... Sounds like another virus...

[glb]Flame[/glb]

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2005, 01:52:37 PM »
Nicole:

Do you remember the name of the virus?

Nicole Kelly

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2005, 03:43:13 PM »
I don't remember the name of the virus.  I had my brother remove it manually because Norton couldn't and I asked my about the taskbar.  He said it didn't have anything to do with the virus.  So here I am having to reboot numerous times a day just to use it.  Right now it's gone.  Strange thing is that the windows I have up won't go down any further than where the taskbar stops when it is visible.  I don't know what to do.  I tried scanning last night to see if there was another virus but nothing came up.  It's really beginning to frustrate me.  One minute its there and then the next it's gone. >:(

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2005, 01:03:31 PM »
It's a "far shot", but what about Windows updates? Have you tried running one by going to http://www.microsoft.com ?

[glb]Flame[/glb]

astroursa

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2005, 01:34:08 AM »
Hi,

I had this problem with an old machine with insufficient memory to maintain the Windows Explorer Shell with XP pro.
One quick fix was to bring up task manager and where it says new task click on it and type "explorer.exe" without quotes.

As I say it may only be temporary but it might be worth a try. It might stop the necessity to reboot all the time.

Sally

« Last Edit: May 03, 2005, 04:41:25 PM by astroursa »