Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Revert OS back to ME from XP  (Read 5573 times)

hdmitch

Revert OS back to ME from XP
« on: April 28, 2005, 10:19:25 PM »
Hey
I hope somebody can help me. I loaded Windows XP, but I don't like it and want to revert to my old operating system which is ME.
I have the system recovery cd's for my computer but I cannot run them. Well XP won't run them.
I have also not activated XP and have a couple of days to activate or not. What happens if I don't activate it?
Any help would be great!!

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: Revert OS back to ME from XP
    « Reply #1 on: April 28, 2005, 11:10:21 PM »
    hdmitch....

Activation is required in 30 days from the first day that you start Windows XP. If you want to activate Windows on a day that is later than the day that you install it, a Windows Activation icon appears in the notification area. This icon periodically displays notifications to remind you about how much time remains before you must activate. After the 30 days has expired, you must activate Windows to continue using Windows.

I'm just a bit curious as to why you would want to go back to using Win ME ......?

When you loaded XP did you load it over ME or do a clean install?

let us know

dl65  ::)

If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Fed

• Sage
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: April 28, 2005, 11:38:21 PM »
      W2K  ;)

Hi dl65  :)

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2005, 07:19:05 AM »

Mac

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2005, 03:01:40 AM »
      XP is a much better OS than ME. XP does not have a system resource problem for one thing and as long as your system has enough RAM, XP will outperform ME everytime.

This sounds like an XP Upgrade CD. Does it have SP2?

I used to have ME on this computer, which was originally made for Windows 2000 and all the time it only had 256Mb of RAM. As soon as I fitted another 256Mb the overall performance and ability of the computer increased.

The mainboard will take 3 x 512 Mb RAM modules but 3 x 256Mb is sufficient for my needs.

When changing from ME to XP I re-partitioned, using the maximum four partitions, and fully reformatted the drive to NTFS.

Upgrading to XP by adding XP is not a good way to go. Better to do a clean install IF your Recovery Media can be used as proof of previous Windows operating system ownership.

I only have a 1·0GHz PIII and use an 80Gb HDD. How do your system specifications compare?

Windows XP will not run your System Recovery CDs. You will probably have to boot directly to the first one in the set.

Do you have a handbook which tells you what to do? If not tell us the Make and Model of your computer so that we can help you better.

Mac

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2005, 03:40:52 AM »
      If you elected to keep the uninstall information then you should be able to uninstall XP from the Add-Remove programs panel. This is not always successful though, so back up any data you have OFF the drive in case you have to re-install.

XP Clean Installing
      XP Compatability Test
      XP Partition Management
      XP Installing Recovery Console

RAM Knowledge Base
      RAM And What it Does
      RAM Virtual Memory Paging
      RAM Reseating & Fitting PDF File

Processor Temperatures
      Service Pack Slipstreamer
      Power Supply Wattage Calculator
      Everest Home Edition Computer Diagnostic Program

merlin_2

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2005, 01:23:04 PM »
      http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q250456/

or load a winme boot disk and format the drive.....the drive image should be still intact.........bomb proof

you could dual boot .......winxp can be tweaked......to improve it.....using powertoys....etc....but its win3.1 > w2k anyway........what is this problem slow......is it?
      « Last Edit: April 30, 2005, 01:27:07 PM by merlin_2 »