Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Opening Power Point files  (Read 4962 times)

tpolcha

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    Opening Power Point files
    « on: March 13, 2009, 10:14:53 PM »
    Win Xp Home
    V 5.1.26
    SP3
    128MG Ram (I know I need more); fiscally I'm forced to keep old systems alive as is.  I'll modernize this year coming.

I cannot open .PPS or .ppt files when they are received as an attachment in Window Outlook Express 6.  I keep windows up to date daily.  I'm not ready to utilize the free openoffice.org

I successfully downloaded the Micro Soft Power Point Viewer (I do not own the MS Office suite).  I can open pp files when saved to any other folder IE; My Documents.

From O/L Express I can save the attachment to a folder for opening later but when I try to open it from O/L I get this MSG.

"This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action.  Create an association in the Folder Options control panel".

When I open the Folder Options control panel and scroll down the list of associations and file extentions I have listed the following:

.pps MS PP Slide Show
    .ppsm
    .ppsx
    .ppt For MS Presentations
    .pptx

On a similar note I have a second extention opening problem.

From a streaming video site like "MetaCafe' I downloaded to save a .flv  file.  From the My Video's folder I cannot open these type files. 

Windows media player only directs me to the internet to find a solution.  Is not .flv files routine and used by many?   

chevronman

Beginner

Re: Opening Power Point files
      « Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 10:23:38 PM »
      Have you tried R clicking on the file and then selecting "open with", then choose the power point viewer. It has worked on every other computer I have built except the new one with vista.

tpolcha

Topic Starter

Hopeful
        « Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 10:32:21 PM »
        It doesn't matter wheter I dd click it or rt click it.  When I rt click attachment
        in this case the drop down menue doesn't ask me what I want to use to open the file.  Only the 'Run or Cancel tabs' of the Windows pop up  appears.

m_260

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 01:13:13 AM »
        get Klite Codec Pack for your media deals and have the software just get the defaults done for you and you play all ok.

Also I think you are asking ... "open with" option is missing and you want to have that option restored so you see it when you right-click on a file in windows explorer and I see you use Win XP. Now, I'm not sure why it's gone but try this ... Copy entire text you see in gray box below to notepad, save and name it openwith.reg to a folder or desktop or somewhere you can find the file. Then double click the file you just made and say yes when it prompts if you want to add the info to registry.

Code: [Select]
        Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Open With]
        @="{09799AFB-AD67-11d1-ABCD-00C04FC30936}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Open With EncryptionMenu]
        @="{A470F8CF-A1E8-4f65-8335-227475AA5C46}"

You can also try hold down shift when you right click you should get the open with command, that's how you got to it before microsoft made it part of the standard right click menu.

But the attachments, you are saving to your hard drive off of your email, not trying to open without saving first?

soybean

Genius
        • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 08:14:00 AM »
        When I open the Folder Options control panel and scroll down the list of associations and file extentions I have listed the following:

.pps MS PP Slide Show
        .ppsm
        .ppsx
        .ppt For MS Presentations
        .pptx
        So, did you try .pps MS PP Slide Show or .ppt For MS Presentations?  What did you do?

tpolcha

Topic Starter

Hopeful
          « Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 08:27:20 AM »
          I didn't do anything.  I don't know what to do.

From the error msg;  all I can ASSUME is that if I have all these file extensions listed, they must be working.

Is there a process that I am missing?

soybean

Genius
          • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 08:37:06 AM »
          I cannot open .PPS or .ppt files when they are received as an attachment in Window Outlook Express 6.  I keep windows up to date daily.  I'm not ready to utilize the free openoffice.org

I successfully downloaded the Micro Soft Power Point Viewer (I do not own the MS Office suite).  I can open pp files when saved to any other folder IE; My Documents.
          When you open these files from My Documents, do you do that by double clicking on the file name or by opening Microsoft PowerPoint Viewer and then using it to open the file?

tpolcha

Topic Starter

Hopeful
            « Reply #7 on: March 14, 2009, 10:48:59 AM »
            All I have to do is double click the file.  It will automatically summons the power point viewer to open and play it.  The viewer works correctly as advertised.

Be advised, I will be off the www for a while taking care of business.  Lets keep the idea's flowing all before I begin making changes to a registry.

I appreciate your idea's.

Thanks.

m_260

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2009, 02:52:13 PM »
            All I have to do is double click the file.  It will automatically summons the power point viewer to open and play it.  The viewer works correctly as advertised.

Be advised, I will be off the www for a while taking care of business.  Lets keep the idea's flowing all before I begin making changes to a registry.

I appreciate your idea's.

Thanks.

Right if you solve you problem before registry ix considered then all is good.

tpolcha

Topic Starter

Hopeful
              « Reply #9 on: March 14, 2009, 09:29:15 PM »
              I haven't solved anything yet.  The last question to me was; do I have to open PP viewer first or can I just double click the file from my documents.

I double click the file in my doc's and it open the viewer and then plays the file.

I am worried about making registry changes.  I've never done it before.  I think I understand the instructions but am also aware that someone can really mess up a PC in the registry.  I don't know what 'get klite codec pack' means in the narative.  Is this two seperate instructions?  What is in that registry language (text)?

Thanks, T

m_260

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2009, 02:09:51 PM »
              1. For the registry fix, it should either fix the problem or do nothing, but not affect your computer so don't worry, I've tried that fix before without difficulty! But make a system restore point if you feel worried so that you can restore if you really need to.

2. Here's the link to klite codec pack:  http://www.codecguide.com/. Once you install it, most of your common video files should be playing with no difficulty as most of the required audio/video stuff that windows media player or media player classic needs to read and play files should be installed.

Also, do check google if you don't know something like what klite codec pack was!

Yes, they were two separate things. You said open with option was missing and your flv files can't play. I provided solutions that worked for me, but I'm not at your PC and all PC's are different even if they're clones but should be working fine!

3. You don't have to open PP viewer first IF you got the power point files set to open with PP viewer as default (aka, file association is PP Viewer)