Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Copying files in Recovery Console  (Read 2279 times)

queenbee

Topic Starter

Copying files in Recovery Console
    « on: March 16, 2009, 07:07:54 AM »
    I recently ran into a log on/log off loop on my computer, and through some research realized my userinit.exe file had been deleted via a virus. 

I tried to load the last good configuration - no luck.  I tried to boot in safe mode; again, no luck.  I found this article (http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Windows-XP-Logs-Then-Immediately-Logs-Off-t15771.html) and decided to try the Recovery Console.

I ran chkdsk in the Recovery Console and it told me it had found and fixed errors, but userinit.exe is still missing from the c:\windows\system32 directory, and my computer still won't start.  I have a copy of userinit.exe on a USB drive, but the AllowRemovableMedia parameter is set to FALSE and I can't figure out how to change it.  The 'set' command tells me I don't have access.

This article (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310497/) looks like it could solve my problem, except I can't access the Windows GUI so I'm not sure how to enable the mentioned group policy.  The article says exactly what registry entry needs to be changed, but I don't know how to edit the registry from the Recovery Console.

I also considered using the "fixboot" command, but I'm not sure if that would solve my problem, and it seems like it might mess me up more.

My job relies on this computer, and I would lose a ton of important stuff if I had to re-install Windows.  Can anyone help me?  My system is running Windows XP Pro.

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
      • Experience: Expert
      Re: Copying files in Recovery Console
      « Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 07:54:53 AM »
      "the AllowRemovableMedia parameter is set to FALSE and I can't figure out how to change it."  If this is in the BIOS then using the keyboard should make it able for you to change the parameter.  Enter, up-down,tab, whatever works. 

The other thing I'd do is get that drive slaved to another computer and get all your "stuff" off.  While it's disconnected you could copy the userinit.exe from the working  computer to the system32 folder on your slaved one.  I've used this technique before to fix this kind of problem.

Good luck.

Alan <><  :D
      I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

queenbee

Topic Starter

Re: Copying files in Recovery Console
        « Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 02:45:43 PM »
        The AllowRemovableMedia parameter is a part of the recovery console, not BIOS. 

I thought of the slaving technique but I'm not very good at working with the computer hardware so I'd like to leave that as a last resort. 

Any other ideas?

JJ 3000

Egghead
        • Experience: Familiar
        Save a Life!
        Adopt a homeless pet.
        http://www.petfinder.com/