Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: letter replacement malicious code?  (Read 3612 times)

jjw3

letter replacement malicious code?
« on: May 02, 2005, 12:28:46 PM »
I'm having a wierd problem, and haven't been able to find any info on it.  I built a new computer for my mother-in-law 2 wks ago.  Everything on it works great, except her POP email and WebCT account login.   First the email:  When I type her name into the user display field, it all looks correct. Same with the signature option.  When sent, the receiver sees that the email is from MFEMF MFEMF (replacing her first and last name) and the signature is the same problem.  When I apply her settings to MY email software, it sends as it should.  When she uses the net version of her account, it works fine.   When I go into her email program and change the user display to anything else, it sends as it should.  If I add her name to it, her name, and her name only, comes out as MFEMF MFEMF, everytime, and everything else is correct.  Does this make sense?  The secondary problem is that she can't log onto WebCT for her online school.   WebCT says "invalid user name" .   I "think" her user name is her first and last name.  Does anyone have any earthly idea what is causing this? Virus? Hardware?  Thank you for any suggestions...

End of my rope,
jjw3

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: letter replacement malicious code?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2005, 12:57:16 PM »
I can't help with issue number one, but for issue number two... Try contacting the online school for a username/password reset... They can help you with that... It COULD be viruses/spyware, but if you have protection, then that is not very likely...

[glb]Flame[/glb]

jjw3

Re: letter replacement malicious code?
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2005, 07:50:17 PM »
Flame,

Thanks for your response.  But problem 2 is interconnected with problem 1.  It's her NAME (first and last) and it is somehow only on her computer.  She is able to log on to WebCT as well as send email from my computer and her work computer.  Changing her username for WebCT would only go around the problem vice correcting it.  And you are right about the spyware/virus protection.  I have scanned this thing over and over and installed virus-finders but found nothing.  Thanks for the input.
jjw3