Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help! My mom wont switch to high speed! (whats the fastest/best modem?)  (Read 5481 times)

Afrior

Topic Starter

Rookie

Ok, so I had to move back into my moms house after 7 months of being on high speed connections. Now im miserable on Dialup. I wont go into why i had to move back... just that I had to.

She refuses to see the fact that you get a far better value out of getting high speed internet for $30 a month than only connecting at 46k at max for $27.

So, my question is, What is the fastest modem that she can get? I know that 56k is the highest, but whats the best? At least shes willing to 'upgrade' the modem.

Heres what she has:
    1. AOL (yes,  I KNOW)
    2. HSP56 Micromodem

Heres her computer setup:

Processor:    
    Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz (2 CPUs)

Memory:    
    2048MB RAM

Hard Drive:    
    250 GB

Video Card:    
    RADEON X800 Series

Sound Card:    
    Realtek AC97 Audio

Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.080814-1236)

It would be a good system, if only shed switch. But alas, shes stubborn. DEATH TO DIALUP! lol.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Pay your mom for the hi-speed!    ;D or chip in the extra $3 between $27 and $30

Dial-up is Dial-up and there is no making it faster..  ;)

And Your P4 3.0 Ghz is a HT Processor, not really 2 processors... Hyperthreading looks like two processors but a Dual CPU unit or actual Dual Core is faster .... Windows shows it as 2 cores, the 2nd core is really virtual ... more info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyper-threading

GlitchPC

If you go high-speed, the modem will be supplied by your new ISP.  So, no need to worry about a modem.

If I were you, I'd do some research into where you might get the cheapest high-speed connection in your area.

harry 48

Egghead

• lay back , relax and chill out
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Dribbling Pensioner
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Familiar
    i agree pay half the $30 a month , harry

Afrior

Topic Starter

Rookie

That rig info was scanned by Xfire.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/430941912.png - my fiances speed
      http://www.speedtest.net/result/430962243.png - her speed

*sigh* *sigh* *sigh*  I would definately pitch in, but i only have...... about $75, and no job. Been trying to get one for almost a year.

That shes even thinking about a faster dialup modem... Maybe.... just maybe.... she'll see the light. My sister said she'd pay for it with her SSDeath benefits, but I havent seen that happen yet, and its been several months.

Heck, we have 2 routers here, 1 wired linxys, 1 wireless D-link (my fiances, he left it here for us to use)

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      Move into the garage and order DSL...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Afrior

Topic Starter

Rookie

Lol, the garage is a PIGSTY.  Not to mention that they have rats/mice out there. Itd be nice to live in there though, I'd at least be able to put up my old bed .... Vs. the couch X.x

BTW, before someone asks, my fiance and I are both living with family ATM cause he lost his job, and we both cant find work. One of the only places around here that hires just about anyone... wouldnt hire us! (I dont know why, we both passed all their tests)

The highest speed and cheapest is Verizon for my address in Coquille, 97423 Oregon at $30/month with a contract and a price guarantee, or 40 without.

Start sending the $ harry, lol.

GlitchPC

Trust me...I know what it feels like when it comes to finding a job...

On the other hand...

I'm going to post a link here for those looking for High Speed Internet Service Providers...

Should any staff member, or other member, for that matter consider this as spam...please feel free to report and/or delete my post.  It is only being provided for informational purposes...and spamming is not my intent.

I am an affiliate, however...this is purely informative...here's the link:  High Speed Internet Service Providers

Afrior

Topic Starter

Rookie

Verizon is really the fastest and cheapest for the area.  I was just using a search on another site that gave invalid info.

"Your Mom isn't bullheaded, she's just ignorant and misinformed." lol. Love my fiance.
          « Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 04:27:56 PM by Afrior »

mroilfield

Mentor
            • Yes
            • Yes
          • Experience: Experienced
          Sorry but if I didn't have a job I wouldn't have time to be worried about getting high speed internet. I would be spending all of my time out job hunting especially if had a fiancee and was planning on getting married soon.
          You can't fix Stupid!!!

mr tee

Beginner
            • Experience: Familiar
            Re: Help! My mom wont switch to high speed! (whats the fastest/best modem?)
            « Reply #10 on: March 17, 2009, 09:32:09 AM »
            or do as i did !pay $80 hook up broardband ask mum to get a 2nd job to pay it off! then on friday nites all of your friends can scan too... supersonic ... www.aus.govt .jobs.com.
            Move into the garage and order DSL...
            crikey! bit harsh patio unlike you!   ;D

m_260

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2009, 10:41:45 AM »
            if you can get AT&T. My dad says he pays $15 a month for the cheapest DSL which is 768K, which beats out 56K modem and doesn't block the landline phone from working when you're surfing the net.

Tell your mom switiching to hi speed should give her a free upgrade for the modem and a free pc upgrade for the internet. For 3 extra dollars...? OR just tell her she is getting a faster internet and free modem upgrade without change to cost and you pay the three dollars difference ?

Afrior

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2009, 06:43:02 PM »
              Sorry but if I didn't have a job I wouldn't have time to be worried about getting high speed internet. I would be spending all of my time out job hunting especially if had a fiancee and was planning on getting married soon.

With so many places switching to online applications... its easier to get a job with faster internet, lol.  We probably wont be getting married anytime in the near future, he hadnt even planned on asking for another year or so... but we had a beautiful baby boy.... (didnt wanna go into this...) who's in a better place now.

if you can get AT&T. My dad says he pays $15 a month for the cheapest DSL which is 768K, which beats out 56K modem and doesn't block the landline phone from working when you're surfing the net.

Tell your mom switiching to hi speed should give her a free upgrade for the modem and a free pc upgrade for the internet. For 3 extra dollars...? OR just tell her she is getting a faster internet and free modem upgrade without change to cost and you pay the three dollars difference ?

the cheapest (and fastest actually) high speed is $27 a month 3MB connection through verizon. The fiber optic stuff aint up here yet (comspan). *sigh*

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2009, 08:53:38 AM »
                Afrior, Most if not all public libraries provide free access to their computers and they are always highspeed. You don't even have to be a member.They also provide free (in library use) local and national newspapers which could be of great assist in your job quest.truenorth

Afrior

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2009, 07:34:16 PM »
                  Actually, you do have to be a member to get on the 1hr computers here. otherwise its 15 minutes, period.