Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Laptop Battery Falls Out, Now Vista Doesn't Boot  (Read 3261 times)

needhelpreallybad08

Topic Starter

Rookie

Laptop Battery Falls Out, Now Vista Doesn't Boot
    « on: March 16, 2009, 11:00:56 PM »
    Laptop in question: HP Pavilion DV2000, running Windows Vista Home (I think 32-bit).

Today, I was using my laptop, running on battery power only.  Unfortunately, the battery no longer locks.  I moved the laptop and the battery fell out.  Naturally, as was not plugged in to an external power source, my laptop shut off.

Upon re-inserting the battery (and plugging in the laptop to an external power source for good measure), I received the "Windows Error Recovery" screen, presenting me with:

Safe Mode
    Safe Mode with Networking
    Safe Mode with Command Prompt
    Start Windows Normally

I tried "Start Windows Normally", and after a loading screen (Microsoft Corporation at bottom), then the screen went black.  I could see the mouse on screen, yet Vista would not boot up.

I manually shut down my computer and this time selected "Safe Mode": same thing, loading screen, then screen goes black with mouse.

I then hit "F7" to get to the "Advanced Boot Options":

Repair your computer
    Safe mode
    Safe mode with networking
    Safe mode with command prompt
    Enable boot logging
    Enable low resolution video (640 × 480)
    Last Known Good Configuration (advanced)
    Directory services restore mode
    Debugging mode
    Disable automatic restart on system failure
    Disable Driver Signature Enforcement
    Start Windows normally

I tried the options in BOLD, and the same thing happened each time: loading screen, then screen goes black with mouse, Vista does not load.

I also tried the "Repair your computer" option, which got me to the "System Recovery Options" screen where I didn't know how to proceed...(so I simply restarted, never actually getting to the loading screen).

The only other possible thing was the fact that I had unchecked a few Nvidia options in "Startup" using "msconfig" (all of which were not necessary on startup).  However, after doing this, I was able to restart the computer twice without any problems (before the battery fell out), so I'm pretty sure this isn't the problem.

I'm so lost!

needhelpreallybad08

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: Laptop Battery Falls Out, Now Vista Doesn't Boot
      « Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 03:28:32 PM »
      Does someone know anything about "Startup Repair" and how I would go about it?

Plus, does "Startup Repair" or "System Restore" leave me at risk for losing files? I ask simply because I have a lot of files which I have not backed up -- and I don't want "System Restore" to take my computer back too far (assuming before I downloaded my pictures, music, etc.)

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 08:42:32 PM »
      System Restore will only affect Windows files and nothing else....
      Startup Repair will wipe all your Data and apps and take the machine back to Day One status...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

needhelpreallybad08

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 10:57:04 PM »
        1) I was told that Vista creates restore points automatically at regular intervals (around every 24 hours of use) as well as whenever updates are installed. So I was surprised that when I went to System Restore, I HAD NO RESTORE POINTS...!? So I got stuck there.

2) I then tried to acess "Startup Repair" by inserting the DVD that came with my laptop. However, mine is a "Recovery DVD" and did not have the option for "Startup Repair", only to recover the entire system. So I got stuck there as well.

3) I even tried checking out the "Repair your computer" option in the "Advanced Boot Options" menu [F7 to get Windows Boot Manager, then F8 to get "Advanced Boot Options"]. "Repair your computer" then brought me to "System Recovery Options", where it gave me the options:

-"To access recovery options log on as a local user."
        -"To access the command prompt as well, log on using an administrator account."

4) For the heck of it, I even did the diagnostic that checks the hard drive for error (found under "Windows Boot Manager"), and when I came back to see what had happened, it had completed and restarted the computer.

I really don't want to lose my files...

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 07:42:11 AM »
        If you can wait awhile Broni and a few others here have had experience with the Vista repair process...i have yet to try it out.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "