Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Software Drivers Not installing properly and/or not compatible with Vista  (Read 3664 times)

James123456789

Topic Starter

To give you a better initial idea of what my problem is I have attached screen shots of the not working driver list. the errors that occur when vista attempts to install new hardware and the files which I have already tried using to install my drivers.

Prelim information:
    My name is James and I would be very grateful if someone could help me solve this problem.
    I was unfortunate enough to download a virus called DNS Changer along with some other viruses when I downloaded a cd crack for an old game that I legitimately owned. I scanned the file but my virus program didn't detect a virus until I had unzipped and installed the fake crack. Anyway long story short, I copied all the files I wished to keep, downloaded a program that I used to make a boot disk that wiped my hard drives completely called something like "kill disk". I then downloaded a program for my specific hard drive ( I have 2 western digit hard drives with 250g space each). This formatted my hard drives correctly and let me install a new version of vista (I previously had windows XP) that my university had provided me along with a cd key (they have some agreement with microsoft). I now have vista running as you can see. Was very pleased with myself as I had a few problems installing vista until I had correctly formatted my hard drives.

The problem is I didn't set this computer up and I have never set up a computer before.

I know I have to install drivers and I have tried for days but I have not successfully installed one driver.
    I tried installing an audigy two sound driver for starters. This got the sound working and told me to restart.
    I restarted my pc and the sound was not working again. When i tried to install a new driver it would give me the error message that new drivers had been installed and I had to restart my pc. I downloaded a program called driver sweeper to remove the information clogging the system and I think this worked. Now when the computer starts up it detects new hardware but from an unknown device as seen in the screen shots.

FYI: My motherboard is an 'ASUS P5GD2 Deluxe Wireless Edition motherboard'. I use this wireless to connect to a wireless router in my house hold. I am yet to work out how to connect to the net as the wireless hardware appears non existent. I think this also has to do with drivers. But I can not seem to find the right ones and some I have found have come up with a "this is not compatible with your version of windows" error.

Also, I hope this doesn't matter but when I was using the program to fix my hard drives I had to choose the operating system. There was no vista option so I chose XP and clicked another box next to it. I had to do this as without clicking the box which had some jargon letters next to it, the hard drive would not work format correctly. It let me format the whole 250 Gig instead of a strange 130 gig thing the hard drive installer had been talking about.

Also the sound card is a "Creative sound blaster audigy 2 ZS 24bit."
    I use a 6.1 surround sound set up.

My computer is about 4 to 5 years old and this is the first reformat I have done.

Thanks in advance :),
    James

[attachment deleted by admin]

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced

James123456789

Topic Starter

Thanks for your help. That installed my sound driver correctly although the sound only worked for a second. the system thinks its playing sound but I don't hear anything come from the speakers. Also how would I get my wireless lan working for the Asus motherboard built in wireless. Once I have the internet I'll be able to download software that updates for me automatically. That's my real goal.

Thank you for your continuing help.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      The wireless drivers should be on the ASUS Driver CD that shipped with the mboard...if not travel to ASUS's site for the correct ones.
      With the wireless driver you may want to re-install the MBoard drivers first...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Broni

Mastermind
      • Kraków my love :)
        • Computer Help Forum
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      Once I have the internet I'll be able to download software that updates for me automatically
      How would you achieve the above?

I'd also try the card in another computer to make sure, the card is OK.
      You may also remove the card temporarily, and see, if the on-board sound will kick in.