Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: adsl  (Read 2859 times)

taeli

Topic Starter

Rookie

adsl
    « on: March 14, 2009, 10:53:05 PM »
    hi i have adsl internet connection on my computer and want to know how i can run another computer off the same connection?? :-\

helper

Intermediate
      Re: adsl
      « Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 10:57:28 PM »
      You'd need a router. You can get a wireless router G for about  $50 (~$30 on sale) at wal-mart or the like.
      And welcome to the Computer Hope Forums!  ;)

taeli

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 11:33:44 PM »
        thankyou i have a router do i plug another filter/splitter into the one i have my 1st computer running off? ???

taeli

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 11:40:12 PM »
           :'( i dont know what to do  ???

Dairyman

Beginner

• Yes
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 01:50:48 AM »
          From my experience, if you're running a back-to-base alarm system, you shouldn't need a filter/splitter.

If you have a modem router like mine, basically all you need to do is plug in all the wires and you're set.

A seperate router requires you to first connect the ADSL line to the modem, then connect the modem to the router via USB or Ethernet. Then connect your computers to that router via antenna, USB or Ethernet, and you can start surfing the web.

taeli

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 08:56:29 PM »
            thankyou, so the only way is to connect both routers together via usb or ethernet???? its for an upstairs computer so i cant do that?? thankyou for your help

Dairyman

Beginner

• Yes
            • Experience: Experienced
            « Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 01:22:20 AM »
            Same case here. You can buy a wireless router with an antenna if you cannot connect via Ethernet or USB. You have to make sure your computer is compatible though. On your computer, do you see any buttons or stickers with an antenna with those curly brackets around them?

taeli

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 09:42:06 PM »
              have had wireless running on this computer b4 so im pretty sure i have tht icon somewhere.. lol :-\