Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Poll

would you use it?

Yes
No
Maybe

Author Topic: ie8 officially out tomorrow  (Read 31327 times)

computeruler

Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: ie8 officially out tomorrow
« Reply #60 on: May 08, 2009, 05:41:54 AM »
thats internet speed.  Its different

jdl

Beginner

« Reply #61 on: May 08, 2009, 06:21:08 AM »
    thats internet speed.  Its different

I up-graded the memory on my old computer a few weeks ago. I didn't do a speed test before the up-grade, didn't know how. Are you saying the internet speed would have been the same before the up-grade? All I know is before the up-grade, FF would get real slow, performance wise, I call it speed. A message would pop-up with FF saying virtual memory too low. I didn't get that message with IE. After I up-graded the memory, no more virtual memory message from FF, all the browsers worked better, faster, performance wise. Internet speed and performance aren't the same thing????? thanks

x2543

« Reply #62 on: May 08, 2009, 12:38:55 PM »
    internet speed is same regardless of computer if there's nothing on pc that inhibits the internet data coming in like a program or something. But to say that firefox runs slowly before memory upgrade? That's just your ocmputer being more responsive.

You can't change internet speed by increasing amount of memory you got but you can by adding moire memory, improve responsiveness of programs,

computeruler

Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #63 on: May 08, 2009, 01:52:32 PM »
    ya what I was saying

jdl

Beginner

« Reply #64 on: May 08, 2009, 03:12:08 PM »
      internet speed is same regardless of computer if there's nothing on pc that inhibits the internet data coming in like a program or something. But to say that firefox runs slowly before memory upgrade? That's just your ocmputer being more responsive.

You can't change internet speed by increasing amount of memory you got but you can by adding moire memory, improve responsiveness of programs,

Thanks for the reply, so if the computer is running slow speed-wise, that isn't a memory issue? Some browsers don't run faster than others? I know how to check internet speed,but, not the speed of anything else.

x2543

« Reply #65 on: May 08, 2009, 10:45:24 PM »
      YEAH ... well, if two computer connect to same internet individually (no router, no internet sharing) then you should be able to get about same internet speed, given no malware or other crap slowing down internet for some reason. this means that for same browser on both pc's, you with same configurations, you should be able to access same webpages at about same speeds.

Now, if you're lacking memory for pc, your computer will be slow and applications will load slow. That has nothing to do with internet connection speed.

But to say some browsers are slower than others, well you can tweak browsers for faster speed, you can see how much CPU % it's using.

jdl

Beginner

« Reply #66 on: May 09, 2009, 08:45:56 AM »
        Hello, thanks for the post. I'm starting to see everybodies point. thanks

Cityscape

Adviser

• Running Debian 8, Linux Mint and Windows 10.
          • Yes
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        « Reply #67 on: May 09, 2009, 05:36:20 PM »
        Might test it...I like to test all browsers that come out.
        Firefox to me is still unbeatable, that's all there is to it. And my backup browsers are Netscape & Flock (both based on the same technology as FF).

And it did hear IE8 has lots of bugs!

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #68 on: May 10, 2009, 04:03:47 AM »
          yours hears to much.  The best thing is to make a seperate pc to try programs on.  Thats what I do before putting them all over.
          Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • Yes
          • Experience: Guru
          « Reply #69 on: May 10, 2009, 04:05:29 AM »
          I test new programs on a Virtual PC.

jdl

Beginner

« Reply #70 on: May 10, 2009, 09:17:16 AM »
            I test new programs on a Virtual PC.

Hi, is there a danger trying out new browsers and software programs on your computer?? thanks

jdl

Beginner

« Reply #71 on: May 10, 2009, 09:27:43 AM »
              Might test it...I like to test all browsers that come out.
              Firefox to me is still unbeatable, that's all there is to it. And my backup browsers are Netscape & Flock (both based on the same technology as FF).

And it did hear IE8 has lots of bugs!

Hi, I don't know the specs for running IE8. I did try it, couldn't get it to work right, probably my old computer or I just did something wrong? I did see a minimum memory spec some where for that system, don't know how accurate, 512mb ram, I'm not running much, 384.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
                • Yes
                • Yes
                • Yes
              • Experience: Guru
              « Reply #72 on: May 10, 2009, 09:28:21 AM »
              Hi, is there a danger trying out new browsers and software programs on your computer?? thanks

Not at all. I use the VPC to test software that changes the Windows environment such as themes and desktop tools ect.

Browsers are [usually] perfectly safe to test normally.

jdl

Beginner

« Reply #73 on: May 10, 2009, 09:47:28 AM »
                Thanks for the reply. :)

x2543

« Reply #74 on: May 10, 2009, 01:10:56 PM »
                if you're worried, make a system restore point (assuming windows xp, vista or if you're testing windows 7) before installing so you can roll back if you need to (if the normal uninstalling of ie8 browser to go back to previous version not working well)