Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: no sound xp  (Read 8824 times)

bluepen

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: no sound xp
    « Reply #30 on: February 16, 2009, 03:14:28 PM »
    yeah so did i! my os is also xp sp2

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2009, 12:21:12 PM »
      Bluepen, OK i went back to my computer/TV and tried to see what if anything i could get at that resembled the instructions i presented earlier. What i found is that from the clicking on my volume icon on the lower right task bar it brought up the name of my sound card (SB Audigy). I could work my way through many open windows from there that allowed all kinds of changes. Of course i didn't change anything as unlike you my setup is working fine.However i would ask the following --do you have the volume icon in the task bar? If not i would follow the instructions contained in my earlier post to create it. Then if you do or when you do see what you can display and if you get the same results as i do then examine the great number of options to see if something jumps out at you that needs to be changed.It occurs to me that more than just the O/S may be involved here and whatever you have as your sound card may display something that reflects the manner in which that particular card presents the options (as opposed to being universal to all sound cards). Therefore the terminology of the words in regards to what  the TV displays may differ. I hope this makes sense. keep us informed truenorth

bluepen

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2009, 08:38:03 AM »
        YES!!! I Finally got it to work.
        The problem was the graphics card, it was being too clever and was trying to send sound, i got this from another forum...
        "Contrary to popular belief, DVI *CAN* pass audio. The audio is sent on the vdieo lines encoded in the video blanking intervals. For a full explanation, see: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1031650868

Thus, it's likely that your video card is indicating that audio is present to your TV(s) and it's not the TV's fault at all. (I'm hitting the same problem myself with an Olevia 237 TV).

From what I can gather, the nVidea 84/85/8600 cards do this, as (apparently) does my 7100/630i integrated video MB. This may be related to the newer nVidia support of HDCP over DVI. Some video cards apparently provide a method to pass through audio via SPDIF headers on the card. YMMV."

So what i did was...
        There's a way you can configure the NVidia driver (prior to installing it) to override/ignore that it 'discovers' an HDMI connection, and thus NOT send the digital audio signal through the DVI connector (obviously requires that you can and DO use an external analog audio cable). This solves the problem for those of us with HDTV's that auto-sense HDMI/analog audio (mine's an Olevia 237T) and have nVidia graphics (mine's an HTPC based on a 7100/630i motherboard w/integrated graphics). I found this originally at http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?s...=&#entry330319 - although it was being used for a different purpose - but I can certainly vouch that it works!

Here are the steps in full (rewritten by me)... You need to have your PC hooked up to your TV, so the EDID discoverer can get your display's ID code:

1. Get Phoenix EDID Designer
        , (http://www.tucows.com/preview/329441), unzip and run the exe (no install reqd)
        2. Click Tools->Extract registry EDID, then double click the line for your TV/monitor in the popup
        3. Click Tools->Byte viewer, and note down the values in row 00, columns 08-0B (4 bytes)
        4. Start the installation of the latest Nvidia drivers and cancel out once the files are extracted
        6. Open the file "nv_disp.inf" in a text editor. By default for the current drivers this is in C:\NVIDIA\...\169.21
        7. Scroll down to the section [nv_SoftwareDeviceSettings], add the following line there, replacing the "XX" values below with the 4 values noted in step 3:

HKR,, OverrideEdidFlags0, %REG_BINARY%, XX,XX,XX,XX,00,00,FF,FF,04,00,00,00,7E,01,00

(In my case the TV code was SYN 0043, the four values being: 4F,2E,43,00 )

4. Uninstall your current drivers and reboot

5. Install the modified drivers by running the previously extracted setup.exe. By default for the current drivers, this is in C:\NVIDIA\...\169.21. You'll get a warning about the driver not being signed because of the modified inf. Just press OK.

Reboot, and you should have GLORIOUS AUDIO!!!

There is a simple hotfix that nvidia provides but is only available for vista since i had xp i had to do the above method and it works fine.

thanks for your help truenorth and gold.