Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer Backup. How do I ?  (Read 2497 times)

kelly1

Topic Starter

Rookie

Computer Backup. How do I ?
    « on: February 20, 2009, 08:49:34 PM »
    How do I save and keep safe all my stuff I've put on my computer ? it's my first computer. a Compaq Presario SR1500NX with the 2nd service pack. when I first started using it someone from support walked me through the steps of saving everything onto 10 CD-R discs. so I have those, now I'm wanting to save all my digital photo's, scanned images, videos and all the usual stuff we collect on these things. I tried following an article by Ed Bott. "Windows XP Backup Made Easy" but when it asks to insert my Windows XP CD I not only can't find such a disc I don't remember if it ever had one. all I could find was "Works8 & Microsoft Money" I'm guessing that's not the disc we need.

On another note, the process Ed Bott describes seems fairly easy and inexpensive, that is if I had the disc they ask for, so I was wondering, why are there more expensive products out there for doing this ? I saw something on the news I wish I could remember the name of the product ! it was basically two boxes, one box saved everyting on your computer and the other box backed up the first box, it cost in the $ 200.00 range. I've searched and can't seem to find it now.

Old Fart

Rookie

Re: Computer Backup. How do I ?
      « Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 02:27:52 PM »
      There are many ways to back up your data, but the safest way is to store it externally .... i.e. on an external Hard Drive, CD or DVD.  The method you use will depend on how much data you have to backup.
      For example a CD will hold approx 700mb, a DVD5 4.37GB, DVD9 8.5GB or and an External Hard Drive can be anything upto 1.5TB.
      All you need to copy to CD or DVD is a Burning program and to store on an External Hard Drive, everything you need is already in Windows.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 03:43:11 PM »
      Acronis True Image
      (the best )
      Ghost
      (also good )
      Macrium Reflect
      (the Free one )
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

kelly1

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 07:36:12 PM »
        Thanks Old Fart and patio I appreciate your help. I found something recently that look it might be about my speed. lol..

It's called Clickfree. I'm just about to search for some real world user reviews. I would appreciate anyones input on this Clickfree product.   thank you in advance.

http://www.smallbusinesscomputing.com/testdrive/article.php/3764766

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/business/silverman/5841141.html

http://ptech.allthingsd.com/20090107/clickfree-backs-up-your-files-easily-so-youre-not-toast/