Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Random system rebooting  (Read 7435 times)

Ecardius

Random system rebooting
« on: March 21, 2009, 10:41:28 AM »
Hey everyone I recently had a problem where my system would reboot at random times.  At first I thought it was overheating so I set up another 120mm fan (Scythe) but it still rebooted so I figured maybe I had a little spy ware problem but after numerous scans nothing was found.  So finally I went into msconfig and looked for any strange processes that didn't belong.  And I spotted something strange the following entry was checked.

Setup D:\Setup\setup.exe /start /restart /l: enu

SOFTWARE\Microsoft\CurrentVersion\Run

Has anyone ever had this entry in their msconfig?  Well anyway I unchecked this entry and rebooted and had no problems since. 

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Random system rebooting
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 12:24:31 PM »
One thing you can do to prevent the reboots is go to Control Panel/System/Advanced/Startup and Repair options and untick "auto restart on errors"...
This will then give you the BSOD's next time and we can diagnose further...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Ecardius

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 02:37:25 PM »
Thank you I will have a look at this right now.  :)

Ecardius

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 10:56:46 AM »
Well the problem has come back.  My system has started rebooting randomly again.  I did all of the proper scans for spyware once again and have found nothing.  I am almost positive this is a hardware related problem.  When I get home today im going to take my computer apart and completely rewire everything just to verify no loose cables inside.  I am also going to add more artic silver to my processor.  After that I am really unsure...I will also be installing a program called Speed Fan to monitor various temperatures.  I was wondering if anyone could recommend a program that had the ability to check to see if one of my memory sticks was faulty? 

If there is any other recommendations anyone might have please let me know.  Like I said im almost positive it is a hardware problem.  I will reformat as a last ditch effort.

My system specs are
Western Digital 360gb Sata HD
Windows XP Home Edition
Asus P5 motherboard
4gb ddr2 corsair memory
nvidia 260 series video card

GlitchPC

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 11:07:41 AM »
Ecardius...

I'd suggest you start here, so that we can truly rule out the possibility of infection:  http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,46313.0.html

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 11:37:35 AM »
    Want to throw something out here.  You dont think that its a tsr or would that have been picked up.  Just a thought.
    Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

Ecardius

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 11:45:51 AM »
    Want to throw something out here.  You dont think that its a tsr or would that have been picked up.  Just a thought.

Are you referring to a broken file of some type?  Im sorry im not familiar with a tsr.  If that is the case I have run CCleaner.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 11:54:54 AM »
      I was talking to my people, sorry.  A tsr is Terminal Stay Resident or monkey virus.  It randomly boots your system usually with in the first few minutes it attucally starts up and stays in the harddrive sectors.  But thought if you had ran spybot you mite of got it but it dont seem that you do have it. 
      Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

Ecardius

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009, 01:12:43 PM »
      I was talking to my people, sorry.  A tsr is Terminal Stay Resident or monkey virus.  It randomly boots your system usually with in the first few minutes it attucally starts up and stays in the harddrive sectors.  But thought if you had ran spybot you mite of got it but it dont seem that you do have it. 

No problem.  I will run multiple tests when I return home today using MBAM, Spybot, Hijack This and AVG and post my results here.  Thanks for the help with this everyone.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2009, 01:38:59 PM »
        You'll get some were then.  not sure if it is it though but just something that mite be.

Ecardius

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2009, 05:13:16 PM »
        Alright friends I got home and immediately got to work on some system scans.  Here is the results.

MBAM - found nothing
        AVG - found nothing
        Spybot - found nothing

I also ran CCleaner and ATF Cleaner.  Lastly I ran hijack this below is the result of the log file.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
        Scan saved at 7:12:02 PM, on 3/25/2009
        Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
        MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16791)
        Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
        C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
        C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
        C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
        C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
        C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
        C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
        C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
        c:\program files\common files\logishrd\lvmvfm\LVPrcSrv.exe
        C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
        C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe
        C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
        C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
        C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
        C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Common\ViewpointService.exe
        C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgam.exe
        C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgrsx.exe
        C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
        C:\WINDOWS\RTHDCPL.EXE
        C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe
        C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_03\bin\jusched.exe
        C:\WINDOWS\system32\RUNDLL32.EXE
        C:\Program Files\Common Files\LogiShrd\LComMgr\Communications_Helper.exe
        C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NMBgMonitor.exe
        C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
        C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NMIndexingService.exe
        C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NMIndexStoreSvr.exe
        C:\Program Files\JGsoft\EditPadPro6\EditPadPro.exe
        C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgnsx.exe
        C:\WINDOWS\system32\msiexec.exe
        C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe
        C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
        C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
        R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
        R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
        R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
        R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
        O2 - BHO: (no name) - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - (no file)
        O2 - BHO: Skype add-on (mastermind) - {22BF413B-C6D2-4d91-82A9-A0F997BA588C} - C:\Program Files\Skype\Toolbars\Internet Explorer\SkypeIEPlugin.dll
        O2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgssie.dll
        O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RTHDCPL] RTHDCPL.EXE
        O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Alcmtr] ALCMTR.EXE
        O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
        O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
        O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NeroCheck.exe
        O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG8_TRAY] C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe
        O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_03\bin\jusched.exe
        O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
        O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LogitechCommunicationsManager] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\LogiShrd\LComMgr\Communications_Helper.exe"
        O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [BgMonitor_{79662E04-7C6C-4d9f-84C7-88D8A56B10AA}] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NMBgMonitor.exe"
        O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
        O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SUPERAntiSpyware] C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe
        O9 - Extra button: Skype - {77BF5300-1474-4EC7-9980-D32B190E9B07} - C:\Program Files\Skype\Toolbars\Internet Explorer\SkypeIEPlugin.dll
        O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
        O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
        O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
        O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
        O18 - Protocol: linkscanner - {F274614C-63F8-47D5-A4D1-FBDDE494F8D1} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgpp.dll
        O18 - Protocol: skype4com - {FFC8B962-9B40-4DFF-9458-1830C7DD7F5D} - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\Skype\SKYPE4~1.DLL
        O20 - Winlogon Notify: !SASWinLogon - C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.dll
        O20 - Winlogon Notify: avgrsstarter - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\avgrsstx.dll
        O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
        O23 - Service: AVG8 WatchDog (avg8wd) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe
        O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
        O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
        O23 - Service: Process Monitor (LVPrcSrv) - Logitech Inc. - c:\program files\common files\logishrd\lvmvfm\LVPrcSrv.exe
        O23 - Service: LVSrvLauncher - Logitech Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\LogiShrd\SrvLnch\SrvLnch.exe
        O23 - Service: NBService - Nero AG - C:\Program Files\Nero\Nero 7\Nero BackItUp\NBService.exe
        O23 - Service: NMIndexingService - Nero AG - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NMIndexingService.exe
        O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
        O23 - Service: Viewpoint Manager Service - Viewpoint Corporation - C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Common\ViewpointService.exe

--
        End of file - 5658 bytes

Ecardius

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2009, 05:33:31 PM »
        I also installed a program to check my temperatures of various items called Speed Fan.  Below is where I am currently sitting on system temps.

GPU 53C
        System 51C
        CPU 43C
        Aux 50C
        HD0 37C
        Core 0 58C
        Core 1 57C
        Core 53C
        Ambient 42C

Broni

Mastermind
        • Kraków my love :)
          • Computer Help Forum
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #12 on: March 25, 2009, 06:01:13 PM »
        Core 0 58C
        Core 1 57C
        Is this while computer idle?
        Desktop, or laptop.
        What is your CPU?

Also...
        Navigate to: C:\Windows\Minidump folder.
        If you see any .dmp files, zip all of them, and attach zipped file to your next reply.

Ecardius

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2009, 06:07:19 PM »
        Is this while computer idle?
        Desktop, or laptop.
        What is your CPU?

Also...
        If you see any .dmp files, zip all of them, and attach zipped file to your next reply.

That folder doesn't exist on my computer.  I tried to navigate to it as well as run that address in the run box.  no luck :(

As for those temps yes they are as the pc idles.  This is a desktop pc and the processor is Core 2 6700 2.66ghz.  And I have not done any overclocking to this computer.

Broni

Mastermind
          • Computer Help Forum
        « Reply #14 on: March 25, 2009, 07:02:44 PM »
        Oh boy, your computer is hot.
        The max temp for your processor is listed at 60.1° C.
        Turn the computer off, clean inside with compressed air.
        Turn it on, see, if all fans are running.
        Check SpeedFan's reading again.

Ecardius

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2009, 07:51:39 PM »
        Oh boy, your computer is hot.
        The max temp for your processor is listed at 60.1° C.
        Turn the computer off, clean inside with compressed air.
        Turn it on, see, if all fans are running.
        Check SpeedFan's reading again.

My oh my...You would not believe the clump of crap I just pulled out.  I always spray my pc down with air every 2 weeks or so but what I just noticed on the hard to see side of my Zalman cpu cooler the build up was so enormous that air couldn't knock it out.  I discovered it with my finger just poking around.  Needless to say my new reading are as follows

Core0 50C
        core1 48C

Would you further recommend me to take my Zalman cooler off and add some more arctic silver?

Broni

Mastermind
          • Computer Help Forum
        « Reply #16 on: March 25, 2009, 11:01:53 PM »
        The new readings are little bit better, but still way too high for idle desktop.
        I'd reapply the paste, from the scratch.

GlitchPC

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2009, 11:21:03 PM »
        BTW...you can use a small plastic handled brush to clean out what the air doesn't get...just be careful.

Ecardius

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2009, 03:31:07 PM »
        The new readings are little bit better, but still way too high for idle desktop.
        I'd reapply the paste, from the scratch.

Well I got home today and sprayed every square inch of the computer again and knocked a bit more dust out.  I also took the cpu cooler off to discover I was in need of another shot of artic silver it was wore quite thin.  So I applied a good bit of that on.  I also changed the 120mm fan to push out hot air rather then pull in air.  I noticed it was working against the zalman cpu cooler fan since they are right next to each other.  They were just pushing air back and forth and not accomplishing anything.  Here are my new readings

Core 0 36C
        Core 1 37C

Thanks again for the help!  Very appreciated :)

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #19 on: March 26, 2009, 04:53:59 PM »
        Those thank goodness are normal...
        Fire the Cat...and do the housekeeping about every 2 months.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Broni

Mastermind
          • Computer Help Forum
        « Reply #20 on: March 26, 2009, 07:52:14 PM »
        Nice going :)

Ecardius

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2009, 09:16:06 PM »
        Well im sorry to say this hasn't solved my random rebooting.  I just turned on my computer and it has done it again...This is getting discouraging.  I really don't know where to look at this point.  I have checked my device manager just now for any red or yellow entries and there is nothing of the sort out of place there.  Is there any recommendations before I format?

Broni

Mastermind
          • Computer Help Forum
        « Reply #22 on: March 26, 2009, 09:21:53 PM »
        Overheating, definitely WAS one of your problems. I hope, it didn't cause any other damages, but for now...
        Did you follow patio's advice from reply #1?

1. Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
        2. Click the Advanced tab (Vista: click Advanced system settings).
        3. Under Startup and Recovery, click Settings to open the Startup and Recovery dialog box.
        4. Clear the Automatically restart check box, and click OK the necessary number of times.
        5. Restart your computer for the settings to take effect.

If so....

Ecardius

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2009, 09:31:53 PM »
        Overheating, definitely WAS one of your problems. I hope, it didn't cause any other damages, but for now...
        Did you follow patio's advice from reply #1?

1. Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
        2. Click the Advanced tab (Vista: click Advanced system settings).
        3. Under Startup and Recovery, click Settings to open the Startup and Recovery dialog box.
        4. Clear the Automatically restart check box, and click OK the necessary number of times.
        5. Restart your computer for the settings to take effect.

If so....

Yes I did uncheck that box he mentioned earlier.  I cannot navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump it doesn't exist on my hard drive for some reason.

Broni

Mastermind
          • Computer Help Forum
        « Reply #24 on: March 26, 2009, 10:39:26 PM »
        See, if same thing happens in Safe Mode.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2009, 09:22:18 AM »
          sorry didnt think of that, was thinking that it was okay with temps.  You should get more cooling.